Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does an idea like this sound plausible

Default Does an idea like this sound plausible

Hey guys,

In the fantasy world that I'm creating I've decided to give an almost scientific explanation to magick (yes, that's how i spell it in this world). I do this because mainly I've always disliked the cliche of explaining away plotholes and the unexplainable or convenient by simply saying "magick did it". I wanted to run one such idea by the guild as it helps ti explain some of the unnatural landformations on my world. Please not that my understanding of physics and meteorology are not too advanced but I hopefully explained those adequately below.

My world is littered with deposits of a magickal substance known as Magice, so named because it's clear like ice and is actually the natural physically condensed form of magick. One of the world's moons just so happens to be made almost primarily out of magice and being an unpredictable and powerful substance it is not unknown for peices of this moon to be blown off it and fall to the world as meteorites, it happens a few times a century and some pieces the size of mountains have marked the land. But ofcourse at this rate this would see my world turned into a crater-pocked wasteland so I thought of a way to work around that.

Magick can be dividied down into several magickal "winds", one such wind is the wind of "N'Ther" also known as the mirror-shield wind. It is the wind of illusions, deception and actually serves as one fo the best defenses against other magicks, either dampening or reflecting magick like a mirror. Now, this wind exists as form of magickal barrier in the upper atmosphere, somewhere in the area between the mesosphere and thermosphere (pic 1), about where auroras form. Please forgive the simple artwork.

Normal meteorites can pass through this barrier normally but the barrier will resist the passage of Magice meteorites (pic 2). If a Magice meteorite strikes the barrier and it's magickal power is less than that of the barrier it will be shattered and will distergrate harmlessely in the atmosphere, the the dispersal of Magick is visible here and looks like an aurora from below. If the meteorite's power is greater than the power of the barrier it punches through, though not always in one piece which can lead to magickal meteor showers (pic 3).

This is where the physics of magick distorts the physics of reality. When the meteorite punches through the barrier it drags some of it down with it (pic 4). My reasoning for this is that the magice is postively "charged" and the barrier is negative and so should be attracted to the meteorite, like electrons and protons magick is always seeking to balance out it's "charge". This displaced N'ther forms into a form of bubble around the meteorite (pic 5) and follows it down to the surface. The meteorite will naturally start to distintergrate like a normal meteorite but the N'ther bubble will actually slow down this distergration as it seeks to contain the magick within the bubble.

More to come in the next post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	30152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	30153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	30155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	30151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	30154  

People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Continued.

When the meteorite strikes the ground the effect is more magickal than physical. When the magice detonates on impact it releases vast amounts of raw magick, this will make a crater and create a physical shock wave destroying the land around it like a normal meteorite but it will also saturate the land around it with magick. The N'ther bubble will again cancel out some of the effect depending on the power of the meteorite on impact (pic 6). The bubble will also contain flying debris and dust, which will be distergrated by the magickal blast. The impact will appear as a large flash of light, an explosion and then a shockwave but there will be no massive dust cloud effects. Exact magickal effects here would vary greatly and would best be covered in another topic.

Again the N'ther bubble will contain some of the magickal energy being expelled and absorbed some of the physical stress on impact. In the case of smaller, weaker meteorites it will lead to some of the magice remaining intact that will then be embedded into the ground and naturally form into magive deposits. Some of the natural rock in the meteorite would also be preserved, normally leaving a small spire or hill in the centre of the crater (pic 7).

Hopefully I have explained all of this clearly. The explanation came to me when I was trying to explain why my capital was situated on a small mountain surrounded by an almsot perfect ring of mountains.

What do yout think?

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 6.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	30156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 7.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	30157  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Well.. That's pretty cool? =P But it don't explain how magic work - just how it get to you globe? Or did I miss something? ^^'

I'm still debating the origin and actual physics of magick, i suppose its an universal force like gravity and magnetism in that we don't still don't know a lot about it. For this bit I just wanted to focus on the magickal meteorites as they play a substantial part in the history of the culture I'm creating.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okey Do the people of your world use the Magick Deposits on the ends of their staff/wands or something?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very cool idea. I have always been fascinated with the "origins" of magic as it is so prevalent in the fantasy world. In your explanation the world itself is innately magical which I really like. at some point though you'll have to explain how the "magice" came to be and that will be a very interesting story.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I don't really know if Magice has a true "origin", if you concentrate enough magick in one place and place it under the right conditions, like underground, it will begin to bleed into the rock around it and in the right cases it makes Magice. Magice also isn't the only form of magickal rock, it's just the most basic and most abundant, but you still have to search pretty thoroughlky to find sufficient viens enough of it to be used and there are several different typs of magice so finding the type your after can be pretty hit-and-miss; areas around these meteorite strikes are usually in rich supply of the stuff. Magice is also just a small subcategory of the "Arcane Geoforms", natural occuring rock that has magickal power and a myriad of different abilities. As for use, Magice is more used as an energy source as all it seems to do is contain and release magick. I could write a whole textbook on the laws of magick and the properties of arcane geoforms but I won't bore you.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

heh, I think a textbook on such things would be very interesting to read, actually.

I guess the question is whether the internal logic of the proposition holds up (at least to cursory inspection) - and it does to me. You could simplify it but just cutting down on the number of meteorites coming from the moon, or have them burn to nothing (as most normal ones do) so you wouldn't then need the atmospheric barrier (whose only function AFAICS is to cut down on the number of meteors)

Normal metoerites can pass through the barrier unharmed, only Magice is resisited and even smaller unopposed magice meteorite can have the same effect and after effects as a nucleur bomb, raw magickal fallout can make life very difficult for future generations. Smaller ones that do pass thorught the barrier do burn up to an extent but, again, the physics of magick sort of distort and disrupt the physics of reality...

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast