Thread: Greetings, maps, and a question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greetings, maps, and a question

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but a long-time cartographer. I've been dreaming up worlds and drawing maps since I was five. For the past five years I've put my skills to use by drawing up maps for numerous table-top RPGs I run. I use GIMP (v2.6) though I do have photoshop thanks to my college. I found this place when looking for map-making brushes and textures and already snagged quite a bit. I'm always looking for ideas, tools and any advice I can get.

I have one question right off the bat: I'm thinking of getting a tablet specifically for my map-making, does anyone have any suggests? Preferably nothing too expensive.

Here are some samples of my maps:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pangeas_terrain.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	30160  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild! Check out some of the tutorials...I think they'll help you take your mapping to the next level. Have some rep for sharing your maps. I really like the shape of the continent in your pangeas map. It's got some real promise.
    M

Thanks, I'll look into those tutorials. Pangeas is my favorite map so far, I've put a lot of work into it.

Welcome! I recommend the Wacom Bamboo Fun. For a little cheaper you could get a Bamboo Pen or Pen & Touch. Just make sure that you don't go for the model that's touch only. Those tablets have a little bit smaller drawing area.

If a new tablet is a bit out of your price range, you might check the auction and classifieds sites for an older Intuos or Graphire tablet. Just make sure you know what ports you can use before buying something, as some of them use a serial connection, and many computers don't have that port any more. As long as the cable is in good condition and a pen is included you shouldn't have any trouble with a used Wacom—they're very durable.

I couldn't recommend anything other than a Wacom at this point—some other brands are hit-and-miss on quality, and others just don't work at all.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome from a new mapper!! Enjoy and have loads of fun