Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know what happened to Dundjinni?

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    you would need to:

• Uninstall Java
    • Reboot. This step is VITAL!!!!
    • install latest java from java.com

On the computers where those messages are found, if you open a command prompt and type: java -version
    you will get a 'command not found' type error. Once reinstalling, if you can do the above, the MapTool jar should work without a problem.
    Hi, Joe!

Right. I know those routines. On the machines with problems of which I'm aware (including two of my own), this brings the same result. And when one goes to the command line and enters java -version, one gets this message:

Windows cannot find 'java'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

The current Java version is installed. I'm aware of this issue only with 64-bit versions of Windows.

Nonetheless, on the two of my three machines that have this problem, all other Java programs run without problems. The third machine also has 64-Bit Windows 7, but RP Tools runs fine on it. However, when one goes to the command line and enters java -version, one also gets this message on that machine:

Windows cannot find 'java'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Hi, Joe!

Right. I know those routines. On the machines with problems of which I'm aware (including two of my own), this brings the same result. And when one goes to the command line and enters java -version, one gets this message:

The current Java version is installed. I'm aware of this issue only with 64-bit versions of Windows.

Nonetheless, on the two of my three machines that have this problem, all other Java programs run without problems. The third machine also has 64-Bit Windows 7, but RP Tools runs fine on it. However, when one goes to the command line and enters java -version, one also gets this message on that machine:

Odd... In any event, it's a simple enough problem to fix by adding the path to the java exe to the Path environment variable. Let me know if you want specific details. Basically, if it works from the command line, it will work period.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Odd... In any event, it's a simple enough problem to fix by adding the path to the java exe to the Path environment variable. Let me know if you want specific details. Basically, if it works from the command line, it will work period.
    Hello again Joe!

Before replying, I wanted to contact the other people I know outside of our project group who also were having trouble with RP Tools before getting back on this topic. Here's what we have among us:

Five machines running Windows 7 64-Bit
    Three machines running Windows 7 64-Bit that also can boot Windows XP Pro 32-Bit.
    Three machines running Windows 7 32-Bit.

All installations under all OSs are running Java 32-Bit Version 1.6 Update 22, which java.com reports is the current version.

Five machines running Windows 7 64-Bit run all Java programs installed except RP Tools. Calling RP Tools produces the error message.

Two of the three machines running Windows 7 64-Bit that also can boot Windows XP Pro 32-Bit produce the error message under Windows 7 64-Bit. One runs RP Tools just fine. All three of these machines are in my office. All three run RP Tools just fine under Windows XP Pro 32-bit.

All three machines running Windows 7 32-Bit run RP Tools just fine too.

I told everyone how to add java.exe to the environment variables. That was done on all machines with a reboot. It had no effect as far as RP Tools is concerned.

With that, I'll give the mystery back to you.

Happy weekend!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12