Thread: In GIMP, how can I modify the noise I used to make my world texture to be ice and sno

Default In GIMP, how can I modify the noise I used to make my world texture to be ice and sno

I am trying to build a campaign world map and following some the tuts on here and doing some of my own thing I have come up with this map I have attached. (on a side note, what is and optimal size of file for posting previews here?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KallindorWorldMapNoDetail.png 
Views:	555 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	30498

I am trying to make the northern continent and top of the main landmass a mix of whites grays and blues, ie snow ice and rock but I want to keep the texture I have produced with noise and playing with colors.. I have played with the color levels and saturation but can't quite get a good look..

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Tony

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Tony, unfortunatly I don't know GIMP, but I can tell you what I just did in photoshop
    Made a copy of the top island in its own layer
    selected the island on the base layer
    lightened the colors to a white - and lost most definition in doing so
    Changed the top layer to "luminosity" - thus affecting the layer below only with its grayscale information

hope it helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icecap.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	30501  
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Actually I was playing with what I could in Gimp with what you said and I couldn't quite figure out how to change the luminosity to get the texture to show through. What I ended up doing and I think it worked out alright is I made another layer, used the render/cloud/plasma tool and filled the whole layer. I played with the threshold and then the Hue/Saturation to get a nice bluey white gray texture. Layer masked everything but the northern continent and then with various brushes and opacities brushed a little more mask around the coast of the continent. And a little less mask around the the north coast of the main land mass. I am going to play a little more with it but I think this will work well because I can then "brush in" more snow in other spots in the map. I will post another pic shortly to show how it going.

I'd also suggest getting the felImage noise plugin that gives more options for noise...

# Can generate tileable textures
    # Can generate textures for use in spherical mapping
    # Can use foreground/background colors, gradients, independent R/G/B/A or warp an image
    # Implements several noise functions
    # The way the colors are mapped can be tuned (gradient rotated, reversed, repeated, etc..)
    # Fractal Brownian Motion (fBm) or Multifractal textures can be generated
    # A phase can be specified, which results in the gradual change of the noise (useful to generate animation frames)
    # Can save and load presets

-Rob A>