Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello out there!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Very nice maps indeed, Thom. It's interesting to have people already making maps coming to the guild and posting their work. Quite often they have an original take on things that eventually subsumes into the collective. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a map here which is so district rich. Makes perfect sense for a board game of course!
    Thanks, ravells.

Cruenti Dei is actually a PBeM game. The regions are units of both control and resource production, so there's a lot of data that has to go into each of them. The challenge is always to do that and not make the map look too cluttered.

I don't always succeed. The balance between information and aesthetics is always a fine, fine line.

cheers,

thom
    Thom Ryng

Cruenti Dei Line Editor
    Sardarthion Press

"The real trouble with this world of ours is not that it is an unreasonable world, nor even that it is a reasonable one. The commonest kind of trouble is that it is very nearly reasonable, but not quite." (G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Not bad at all. All I can really say is that you might want to get more creative fonts (but still legible) and the mountain and hill symbols repeat too often so you might want to make up a few more to break up the repeats. Otherwise these are top-notch political maps. Nice job, man.
    Thanks, Ascension.

I made the first iteration of the maps several years ago, and I had even less idea then of what I'm doing than I do now.

My main concern was to get the map set out - there are 17 of them altogether - and it was a daunting task. I pretty much used the same mountain and same hill throughout all the maps. I don't think I'd do that now, but of course I'm in the process of creating a map for a new continent so I have to keep the same aesthetic throughout all of the atlas maps.

I'm doing jezelf's tutorials to create a poster-sized world map, including several continents that exist only in outline to this point. For that map, I'll be using a wide number of different mountain and hill images.

cheers,

thom
    Thom Ryng

Cruenti Dei Line Editor
    Sardarthion Press

"The real trouble with this world of ours is not that it is an unreasonable world, nor even that it is a reasonable one. The commonest kind of trouble is that it is very nearly reasonable, but not quite." (G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Welcome from a new mapper!! Think you have created some really nice maps already

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12