Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] unnamed (undecided) fantasy map for a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    MS-Paint? Well then I guess you can just ignore my comment then.
    Still, I'm glad you DID comment. Comments are always good!
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Map map continued!

I've started adding the names of cities, lakes, rivers etc. (I have an older map with all the names and such, but it is in black and white, no colour)

I've also added a Legend for your convenience

I don't have a name for this world yet, but I will probably make one up that fits the story as time goes on.
    I prefer to keep most of the story a secret, but I can tell you that it will be about a guy that finds out that he is the only hope
    of stopping the followers of an evil god that want to revive their god, which they believe is the way to salvation.

and here's the updated map (never mind the stupid file name... 'Danne' is short for Daniel, which is my name)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dannes fantasy map gigantic 18.png 
Views:	331 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	30374
    Last edited by Aenigma; 10-23-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: my inner grammarnazi ordered me to do it

By god that place is huge, and the landmasses are so... aghh! Why can't I get my landmasses to look half as interesting? Did you hand drawn the landmass or did you use a program/tut?

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I don't really remember exactly HOW I did it... I do think I studied the world map of Earth before I started. I made the first version of this map over 1.5 years ago and I've been making regular changes to it since then. (And I've saved most major changes, so I have over 100 different images... )

I did not use any program except MS Paint and my mind.

One good way when making a map is to start small. Make a small map, really really small... If you're satisfied with the shape, then enlarge it.
    Also; Look at Europe. There's water on three sides of Europe. Only land to the right (Russia and so on). This, to me, makes it seem like a really HUGE place. I suggest you try it!

Lastly; Sometimes I combine different maps that I've made. Like a puzzle! Sometimes I take entire land-masses and slam them together and sometimes I just snatch some islands or lakes from another map and put them in another map.
    Last edited by Aenigma; 10-23-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    I made the first version of this map over 1.5 years ago and I've been making regular changes to it since then. (And I've saved most major changes, so I have over 100 different images... )
    You know, now i'd want to see those pics...to see the changes and how the map was growing into the map it is today Maybe you could do low res jpgs and post them... and maybe only include the pics with major changes (aka changes one can see at first glance ) .

WHAT?!? It's YOUR fault...

Oh and have some rep (forgot that in my first post).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    You know, now i'd want to see those pics...to see the changes and how the map was growing into the map it is today Maybe you could do low res jpgs and post them... and maybe only include the pics with major changes (aka changes one can see at first glance ) .

WHAT?!? It's YOUR fault...

Oh and have some rep (forgot that in my first post).
    heh, Here's the 2nd oldest image that I have of this map. I've lost the oldest in a file-error, sadly.
    1.5 years ago... Feels like forever.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dannes fantasy map.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	802.4 KB 
ID:	30377

I'd very much like to hear your oppinions (I'm talking to the river-police ) about the rivers in the image that is posted in the post named "Map continued!
    Please.

Beautiful map. I particularly like the colour scheme and the lovely crinkly bits of coastline. Repped.

Very much looking forward to the evolution!
    Thom Ryng

Cruenti Dei Line Editor
    Sardarthion Press

"The real trouble with this world of ours is not that it is an unreasonable world, nor even that it is a reasonable one. The commonest kind of trouble is that it is very nearly reasonable, but not quite." (G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great work Aenigma - now... I'm not a member of the river police - but I do fetch donuts once in a while *lol* ... allmost all of your rivers are ok - but you do have some rivers that spilt up (and sometimes merge again) and rivers don't do that - not over time at least. In the end, one river allways wins ... and for instance a little south-south-west of Mir you got a river going between oceans, that doesn't happen unless of course its a canal ... but very nice map - keep up the good work, especially for paint - you're not making it easier for yourself with that program
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast