Thread: Geoff's Maps

Map Geoff's Maps

Here are links to two of my Maps, in case anyone's interested; they show the country in which my book is set.

http://www.cix.co.uk/~morven/dek/political.jpg
    http://www.cix.co.uk/~morven/dek/physical.jpg

Note that they're actually redundant now since I'm not happy with the geography and am currently redrawing the entire continent. But they're examples of what my self-written programs can do.

Oh! I really like the geography. The first thing that occured to me when I saw the maps was that it looks a bit like a map spanning Eastern Europe to the Far East. With Kabra as India and Norhusto as the Arabian Peninsula and Chatsu as Greece, which makes the map much more 'believable' on a subliminal level.

This is something which had never occured to me before!

Ravs

Very nice. I like the geography as well. You wrote the program to do this map as well? Wow!
    And i hope you'll show us the redrawn maps when they're done?!
    And maybe (even if it is off-topic) you can tell us a little bit about your book?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Oh! I really like the geography. The first thing that occured to me when I saw the maps was that it looks a bit like a map spanning Eastern Europe to the Far East. With Kabra as India and Norhusto as the Arabian Peninsula and Chatsu as Greece, which makes the map much more 'believable' on a subliminal level.

This is something which had never occured to me before!
    It certainly never occurred to me, either, probably because the scale is totally different. The area shown on the first two maps is roughly equal to Germany plus Poland; I don't know why I didn't put a scale on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Very nice. I like the geography as well. You wrote the program to do this map as well? Wow!
    Well, the program tried to generate a heightmap from a basic contour map, with variable results; I was asking about this in my introductory thread. The program also took care of the colouring and shading.

And i hope you'll show us the redrawn maps when they're done?!
    Oh yes; but they'l look very different, unless I can get my program to work sensibly. The names will be the same, but the geography is being redone.

And maybe (even if it is off-topic) you can tell us a little bit about your book?
    That depends what you want to know! It's basically just a novel in the much-maligned genre known as "fantasy".

And if you aren't packaging it for sale, could we possibly see the code you used . Actually, the reason I don't put my own software up is embarrassment at my enormous crapiness as a programmer, but given what your software has done here I don't think that would be a problem for you.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    And if you aren't packaging it for sale, could we possibly see the code you used .
    I don't mind showing it here, but there's potentially rather a lot of it, especially with helpful comments. I'll try to get it into some short of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    given what your software has done here I don't think that would be a problem for you.
    I've only been on this forum a day! Who else is using it?

Anyway, here's a link to a bare-bones redrawn Map of my continent:

http://www.cix.co.uk/~morven/images/sunovia.png

See if you can guess which program I drew it with Does it all seem believable and geologically plausible?

A good place to compare is Google maps. Zoom in to the same approximate scale and look at what features are visible.

I think this scale is close to yours:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...4&t=p&z=3&om=1

Note that you can't really see any of the rivers. Even the Nile is only visible because of the vegetation growing along it.

If I didn't zoom in enough to match your scale, go ahead and do so and note what is actually visible at the scale you end up at.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.