Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welstar

Blog Entries

A bit more progress. I managed to reuse a crosshatching generator I wrote a while back for the farmland.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welstar2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	564.0 KB 
ID:	30428

Blog Entries

More adjustments, and the POIs have a more hand painted look, though I'm still not sure about them. Hopefully a bit more Filter Effect goodness will help. The scroll could do with some work too so it doesn't look so perfect.

Views:	56 
Size:	564.7 KB 
ID:	30499

Blog Entries

I had to do some rescaling to get the filters working the way I want but here it is with preliminary effects for the ink and detail paint, and a bit of overall warping.

Views:	85 
Size:	920.6 KB 
ID:	30653

Used the VanGogh filter I'm assuming?
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geamon View Post
    Used the VanGogh filter I'm assuming?
    No, built from scratch. The ink filter 'in' composes with perlin noise, and gaussian blurs it, then combines the two and multiplies with the background. The detail paint filter 'in' composes with fractal noise. The warp is a displacement map with fractal noise.

Very similar effect I find, I haven't branched out into trying other custom made filters yet, one step at a time. Nice map by the way. Not a fan of the large heraldric icons in the stlye personal, but thats more prefrence personally.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geamon View Post
    Very similar effect I find, I haven't branched out into trying other custom made filters yet, one step at a time. Nice map by the way. Not a fan of the large heraldric icons in the stlye personal, but thats more prefrence personally.
    I normally use representational icons or plain text, but the heraldry felt more appropriate to this map given the themes and real world cultural influences of Welstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    A bit more progress. I managed to reuse a crosshatching generator I wrote a while back for the farmland.
    I like everything but the fields. They are the only isometric looking element and jump out a bit. I think a straight orthogonal hatching might blend better...

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I like everything but the fields. They are the only isometric looking element and jump out a bit. I think a straight orthogonal hatching might blend better...
    Yes, that's one thing that bothered me (And actually there's the pyramid too, and the oasis sort of although it only has one natural axis.) on the other hand, it didn't look right when orthogonal either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    The standard restack script that comes with Inkscape was nowhere near able to deal with over 6000 trees so I had to write my own.
    Hey, give a guy a break, it was my first Inkscape script. Plus I'd never programed in python before I wrote it

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast