Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welstar

Blog Entries

So It's a month and I've come back to this map again for a bit more work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welstar2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	31325

The displacement map wasn't working as it blurred the image too much. I've changed the orientation of the farmland pattern, adjusted some line weights, stains, and noise frequencies, and added a bit of variation to the scroll.

Blog Entries

A few more refinements, I thinned down the lines of the border, adjusted the colour wash a bit, and fixed one of the POI symbols.

Views:	70 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	31407

I'm fairly happy with it now so unless someone has any suggestions to make or errors to point out, I'll probably call this one done.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What A great look Beautiful !
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It has a good medieval vibe to it but the hills look kinda awkward (my own opinion). I might throw those out for the traditional hump-looking things or just leave them out entirely. The really big ones on the left side are the ones I'm talking about - the small ones look better as the lines are spaced out more. All in all, though, I like the vibe.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It's always interesting to see the evolution of a project.
    Keep going.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    It has a good medieval vibe to it but the hills look kinda awkward (my own opinion). I might throw those out for the traditional hump-looking things or just leave them out entirely. The really big ones on the left side are the ones I'm talking about - the small ones look better as the lines are spaced out more. All in all, though, I like the vibe.
    Unfortunately, this is somewhere that the source map is constraining me. It consists of multiple levels and it would be throwing out a lot of information if I didn't represent that in some way. The multiple lines of hachuring is still the best compromise I can think of.

However there were a few problems with the hachuring that bothered me when you drew my attention back to it, so I've tweaked it a bit, and found a better way to structure my path effects in the process (I'm now Pattern Along Path to get perpendiculars, then Sketch to jitter them, then Pattern Along Path to apply the stroke shape)

Views:	88 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	31451

I also made a few more tweaks to the parchment filter effect.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

been a while since I checked on this map; looking really good!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks better, not so closely packed.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

OK, I'm calling it finished and posted it to the Finished Maps forum: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...World-of-Order

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123