Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seandomhan v2.1

Wip Seandomhan

Hey fellows,

after reading the forum and some good comments on my first-post-map I decided to repaint my world Seandomhan (gaelish: "The Old World") - not completely but in details.
    I tried to reorganize the landmass to have better prerequisites for mountains and rivers (and yeah - I fear the River Police but I learned a lot! ) and the
    political organization (but that later).

Yes I know ... the world (this part) has a shredded look but I dislike some of these one-isle-only worlds or the ones with too huge continents.
    So one of my two problems (the other one is that) is the decision where to paint the mountains so that they're placed in a ... I want to say "correct geographical way". So if I look on the landmass and try to finger it out where the oceanic plate collides with a continental plate and on the other hand the collision of two continental plates - I have to capitulate because it a bit to high for me - I'm not a professor of geography. So if anyone has a good idea - please feel free to post it or mark it on my map.

So this is the 1st version of my 2nd try (1st was here) ... only white landmass and blue water without details, coasts, rivers and islands.

regards
    o/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Seandomhan_v2_1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	711.7 KB 
ID:	29252  
    Last edited by Sonnenfalke; 09-21-2010 at 04:15 AM.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic27022_1.gif

I can't say I know much of anything about the "correct" placement of mountains. They usually come at plate boundaries, either in the form of upheaval or volcanic activity...but there are lots of exceptions, I think. I can suggest, however, that a good way to make them is using Ascension's atlas-style tutorial. There's another tutorial about making realistic mountains that involves hand-painting if you don't like that style. I like the outline of your landmasses...no complaints from me there.
    M

Wip

Seandomhan v2.2

just a little correction of the landmass ... it was too thin, so I expand it a bit and change some peninsulas

Name:	_Seandomhan_v2_2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	734.5 KB 
ID:	29298  

Much better than your first landmass, but it is still too inorganic for me. Creating the landmass is as hard as creating mountains and I normally work out 15-20 shapes until I get what i want.

I think if I put the islands on the map it would be look better *hope so*

I think its now the final version of the landmass ... I decided to change some coastline a bit. If there's nothing other thing to change I'll add the Islands on a new layer (maybe with Photoshop but at the moment with CorelDraw).

Name:	_Seandomhan_v2_3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	769.2 KB 
ID:	29382  

I've searched an option in Photoshop CS5 to fill the layer with a texture but didn't find anything. So I tried it in CorelDraw but I'm not really happy with this.
    The other thing ... the shelf is a bad thing too (done with Photoshop) but it looks like a shiny glow ;(

Name:	_Seandomhan_v2_3_textur.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	29517  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The way that I get around my shelf looking like a glow is to select the landmass layer, on an empty layer under the land layer I fill that with white, then blur it out a bunch, then grab the smudge tool and smudge out some areas to make it look more natural. As to filling a layer with a texture, use a pattern and hit Edit - Fill - where it says "Use" scroll down to Pattern = find the pattern that you want and click OK. Of course you can only use a pattern that you have previously saved as a pattern (Edit - Define Pattern).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thx Ascension

I tried it ... maybe the color doesn't match at the moment. I've also tried the gradient overlay from your atlas style tutorial but it seems that the landmass is a bit too big for that ... the land with snow or desert are more in the north and south, so I only used the olive color (#DAC094) but I'm not sure with the color context of landmass, shelf and water ... it looks a bit peculiar

Name:	_Seandomhan_v2_4.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	29552  

A new day and a new try with the Atlas Style

I colored the water darker and reduce the shelf a bit and made it darker too. The gradient overlay of PS CS5 is very nice and I'm a bit too noobish for a perfect result - but I'm learning every day. Hoping the landmass and color is now fine so I can put the islands on the map with a new layer.

Name:	_Seandomhan_v2_5.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	29590  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast