Thread: The Forest Tower

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip The Forest Tower

Rog Nenshen sat at the end of the bar at the Grinning Goblin Tavern holding a tall mug of dark Riverhewn Ale. This was his customary position on most nights as it allowed him to tell and hear stories to and from the adventurers that frequented his tavern. Tonight was no exception. There was a small crowd in front of Rog now all eagerly listening to the taverner's story." Now believe me or don't that's ye's choice but I can tell ye I was there and saw with my own eyes the horror of it all." He took a sip of his ale and glanced around the tavern all seemed well so he continued." The forest tower is older than the kingdom older than everything some say." He paused here for effect." I went there 20 years ago when I was no older than you pups full of meself and cocksure of my skills." He chuckled to himself it seemed very long ago that he was their age." I have a map I can let ye use but I can warn ya stay away from that tower it'll bring nothing but death to ye." He handed the leader of the adventuring band a well worn cloth map of the kind that doesn't rip easily. He could see the fire in the young adventurers eyes as if he could barely constrain himself from running out the door right at that minute. Rog shook his hand and nodded to the rest of the men" Good luck to ye and remember if ye live come back to the Goblin for a free pint to tell us the tale."....

This is for a long overdue adventure I'm going to set in the Burneal Forest. It sounds like it might be fun... As always feedback is requested and appreciated.. Thanks !!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Forest Tower By Rog Nenshen.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	31429
    Last edited by jtougas; 12-12-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Honestly, the Neverwinter font is sorta tied to Neverwinter so I'd change the font to something simpler to fit the map style. I didn't say anything on the other map like this but if you're going to do a bunch of these I figger that I better say something.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The white lettering is entirely illegible. And if the subject of the map is the Forest Tower, you need to do something to make the tower itself stand out. Right now, the trees and the river are stealing all of the attention because they are the most contrasty elements on the map. And I have no idea what that triangular shape to the west of the tower is.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    The white lettering is entirely illegible. And if the subject of the map is the Forest Tower, you need to do something to make the tower itself stand out. Right now, the trees and the river are stealing all of the attention because they are the most contrasty elements on the map. And I have no idea what that triangular shape to the west of the tower is.
    Good Points the white was a BAD choice I think I might have fixed it And the Neverwinter font is a bit much all the time ..

Ok hopefully THIS is better (it couldn't be any worse.. )

Views:	99 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	31433
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

The comic book typeface doesn't really work either. It's more legible but still distinctly out of place. The way it overlaps some of the features makes it hard to read too. Bending the text onto paths might help.

Blog Entries

Wip

One More try. I think I need a tutorial on how to fix text to a path.. I kind of like this one a little better although I liked the overall "feel" of the other one too.. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.. Thanks !!

Views:	81 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	31452

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    One More try. I think I need a tutorial on how to fix text to a path..
    Well, I don't think it can be done with The GIMP or Paint Shop Pro. Your best bet would be to get Inkscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Well, I don't think it can be done with The GIMP or Paint Shop Pro. Your best bet would be to get Inkscape.
    Gimp does it in a round about way. http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-text.html

With the path active, and your text entered, in the text tool, click "Text to path". This creates a new path outlining the text bent along the other path. You then need to use path-to-selection and fill it or stroke the path to make it actually visible.

But I agree, your best bet is to use Inkscape.

-Rob A>