Thread: Heinlein Multi Purpose Rocket

Default Heinlein Multi Purpose Rocket

(This is part of our Ships of The Black Desert series. The maps below were done entirely in Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0; not sketches were scanned as references. The mapping project took about 70 man hours to complete. Of course, I have three kids... )

INTRODUCTION

Among the most successful space-borne designs to come out of the Great War, the RG-403 Heinlein was the backbone of Brazil's military machine. Even now, forty years after their initial release, the rocket is still considered by tacticians to be among one of the most innovative ideas in active space combat and continues to be the premier attack craft of the Union of the Americas. The combat effectiveness of the Heinlein is not based on its originality, however. The Heinlein rocket system is effective because it is so common that practically every major nation and organization has them.

HISTORY

The Heinlein was initially proposed as a solution to the stealth problem in space combat. Since before manned spaceflight became common, it was recognized that hiding the movements of military spacecraft would be impossible. Merely firing a maneuvering thruster on an orbiter creates a thermal signature that can be seen anywhere in the Inner System. This total lack of secrecy in spacecraft movement, when combined with the incredible speeds and distances involved in space travel meant that not only would an opposing wing of spacecraft know exactly how many of the approaching enemy there are, but would be able to maneuver to a new vector that made it impossible for the opposing wing to intercept. It was for this reason that the majority of the deep space theater of the Great War was stalemated during the initial years of the conflict.
    Analysts for Brazil's Ministry of War concluded that the best way to counteract the lack of stealth in space was to use it to their advantage. There is only a short window of opportunity after the detection of an enemy's space wing to change vector; once that opportunity is gone, the two opposing space forces will intercept. Therefore, if an enemy's spacecraft could be fooled long enough for the maneuvering window to pass, the Brazilian fleets could engage them.
    The Ministry decided that the best way to remain undetected for the required duration was for their military rockets to pose as civilian ones. Commerce raiding was as prevalent in the Great War as it was in any terrestrial conflict, and the Brazilian merchant fleet had sustained its share of losses from attacks against its convoys. The most common merchant rocket, Embraer's RG-403 (General Rocket, 40 meters, three winged) was chosen to undergo upgrades into a military interceptor.
    The refitted 403s proved to be a nasty surprise for commerce raiders. The US and several Asian powers lost wing after wing of rockets to the depredations of Brazil's new war machine. The decreased loss of shipping from the commerce raiders' new found reluctance to engage merchant 403s was an added bonus.
    Like all military innovations, the stealth of the Heinlein-class was short lived. The European Union and China acquired Heinleins and cloned the design, forcing Brazil to create elaborate codes and IFF transponders as a result. The Americans had been running an aggressive anti-South American propaganda campaign since the loss of their Ecuadoran space elevator and therefore militarized their own merchant orbiters instead of building Heinleins. This, of course, was less successful and the continued loss of colonial shipping further exacerbated their resource scarcity as the war ground on.
    After the nuclear attacks and the ecological disasters that followed, many RG-403s were used simply to evacuate flooded and fallout-ridden areas. After the Treaty of Mars went into effect, the bulk of the Union of the Americas space command was sold off and became simple merchant ships again. Despite this, Brazil and her member states still use the venerable rockets for military purposes and the ubiquity of the design make them practically invisible as the rockets prowl the orbits of the asteroids in the Black Desert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heinlein Blueprint exterior and Silloette copy.jpg 
Views:	1562 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	30306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heinlein Deckplan Page 1 copy.jpg 
Views:	1183 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	30307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heinlein Deckplan Page 3 copy.jpg 
Views:	1412 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	30309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heinlein Deckplan Page 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	1153 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	30308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heinlein Deckplan Page 4 copy.jpg 
Views:	1504 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	30311  

Last edited by RocketDad; 10-21-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    In space...no one can hear you whine...
    Help me make more maps!

Great background...no images. Let's see 'em!
    M

Edit: Oh, I see. It's in your sig. Any chance of a low-res preview of the deckplans?

Sorry, forum...my wife was uploading a video to YouTube last night and it took five hours... I couldn't get the thumbnail uploaded with all of our bandwidth occupied. Anyway, the maps to go with the description are now in my original post, hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by RocketDad; 10-21-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Help me make more maps!

I'm not a big fan of starship plans, but yours are cool. The background is great and fits very good to the starship as well as the colours you have chosen.

Awesome! Thanks for posting the thumbs. I love the little work vehicles. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL."
    M

Edit: Have some rep...and good luck with sales!

Blog Entries

These maps are really great but your running the gauntlet a bit with your watermark. That could be taken off. Maybe one day I will have do a tut for removing watermarks and how to put them on to your maps so that they cant be removed automatically.

Pretty cool maps. But after looking at them closely there is a lot of things that could be cleaned up. Kinda surprised you would put this up as a product to sell (I would have polished them up more). Just my stance that if maps are to be sold they have to have a high level of quality before I buy them.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

It shows in your work. Good stuff.
    Help me make more maps!

Nice. The watermark is...wow...really there, but I understand why so no problem there. I would like to know what RR is talking about with regard to the watermarks. If you do make that tutorial I'll be reading it.

Repped!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt