Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *poof* Archmagician Arrives

Post *poof* Archmagician Arrives

Hello All!

I just got done typing this incredibly long intro when I got a "must include post icon" and LOST it all! *cry*

Anyway, the gist of it was:
    Currently working on a novel - will need a few maps for that
    Roleplaying since 1983 - Currently running a PBeM (it hasnt started yet) need maps! If you are curious or want to join here is a link to the site:
    http://pbem1.reynoldslive.com/(S(yvh.../MainPage.ashx

Anyway, I joined this board some time ago, and I have been lurking. You guys are the BOMB when it comes to map making (I am not Worthy!). I would love to get better at making maps.

Tools: I own Photoshop, Dundjinni, and CC3 (plus many add ons).

My current task, to create maps for my PBeM. I am seriously struggling with this. Here is my first attempt at a Forest Map for a Wood Elf Community: Oil Lantern Glade

The problem with this map is the forest floor. Argh that thing is uuugly! I realize that I need to do the floor in photoshop. So I tried attempting that in Grimroots Grove, but the problem I ran into, is that Dundjinni doesnt appear to let you import a jpg (like as a floor map). I think they made that product around selling Artpacks.

So I tried exporting it and using a color grab to grab the white and delete it, but I am not having much luck here. There is always a bit of color left around the objects. I have *some* photoshop skills but they are weak.

I tried following that AWESOME gimp tutorial on here, but it doesnt always translate well for this noob in Photoshop.

What I would really like to do is have a kind of splotchy floor effect, with the use of a bump map to give it some "rough" feel. Now THAT would be awesome. Anyway, I will keep reading and posting as this site kicks ass!!

thanks for tolerating my Tolstoyish like intro (Hope this one makes it!!!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OilLanternGlade2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	1814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GrimrootsGrove.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	1815  

Welcome, Archmagician

I am sure you will find a lot of useful info and help on this forum. It is a very friendly and helpful bunch of people

Have fun

Eilathen

P.S.: Tell us a bit about your novel. What is it about?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Welcome to the Guild, Archmagician!

Check out the seamless fills thread here . I think you may find something close to what you are looking for to use for your forest floor. Unfortunately I don't use dunjinni, so I can't help there.

Are you going for any particular 'look' with your maps?

Welcome, Archmagician! Glad to have you here.

Quick question: Do you buy CC3 products to use the PNG artwork in Dundjinni, or do you use both programs for mapping?
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Eilathen:
    The plot of my Novel is about a warrior race of dwarves. I hate to reveal too much, I would rather have you read it.

Ravells:
    I am not going for a particular look per se, I just want it to look nice!

Jaerdaph:
    I use both. Even though I am an expert in Autocad (I used to teach it at the college level), I still find CC3 a bit diffiult to use. In Autocad, the default mode is "select" so if I drag a window across the screen I automatically select multiple objects in my CAD drawing. This is not so for CC3 and I always find myself battling this when trying to select objects. The interface is just bizarre if you ask me. I really love the look at feel you get with Photoshop effects like that outstanding tutorial you have on this website.

I bought CC3 because I am sure I will use it for something. Perhaps City mapping, maybe some regional maps. I dont know as I havent really taken the time and effort to get into mapping.

I was thinking that perhaps I should start a thread where I work on one of my PBeM maps and I ask questions about how to acheive certain effects, maybe we can tag this as, a good guide for noobs, since my questions will be fairly basic and ones that many other beginners might ask.
    Last edited by Archmagician; 11-30-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Welcome -

Have you posted the importing image question at the DJ forum? they are very active there...

and as a side not, I think you have enlarged some of your trees too much - they are intensely pixelated.

-Rob A>

Good idea Rob!

Jaerdaph:
    Dutch Kills, NY? Hmm is that near Astoria? I was born in Inwood, Queens.

Welcome Arch-mage!

Pick up a tankard and gather round the table. There are plenty of maps n the scroll tubes about the chamber to view!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Archmagician, where did you find the picture of the Grimroots Grove? Was it from the Dundjinni forums? Can you give me a link?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Welcome! I'm so glad you found us and are already posting a map! That's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmagician View Post
    I was thinking that perhaps I should start a thread where I work on one of my PBeM maps and I ask questions about how to acheive certain effects, ...
    I think this is an excellent idea! I encourage you to repost under one of the WIP threads and ask specific questions. I have a few ideas in PS that may help, but I stopped using Dundjinni a couple years ago so will be no help there.

Once again, welcome!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast