Thread: Refractalizing an image

Question Refractalizing an image

I was on a web forum the other day and someone had created a program for refractalizng your enlarged images after you created fractal world maps. I somehow have misplaced the link and can't find it now!!! Does anyone know a way to refractalize a scaled up image from a fracal world generator map?

I've created a map in CS4, and want to take my world map, enlarge it and refractalize the images so that I maintain that rough border look between the areas. The original program basically sampled the pixels and fractalized the image again, after you scaled up the overall image until it became pixelated.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by darkanglmarine; 10-28-2010 at 03:59 AM.

It doesn't use Fractals, but Old Guy's tutorial on making realistic coastlines (do a search on the site to find it or hunt in the tutorial section), might fit your needs.

If there is a program out there that does this and does it well, it would make my day. I know there are ways of doing it through PS or Gimp or Paint.net, but they are always a kludge and require lots of fiddling about to get good results.

Yah, sigh...Now you know my pain. This gentleman had figured it out, at least in theory it sounded very solid. You simply scaled up your image to what you needed and it was pixelated, and then his program reinterpreted and rerendered the edges so you had nice, clean shorelines, lakes, rivers, mountain ranges, etc.

I checked out Old Guy's post and while its great for creating a new image, it's almost an incredible amount of work to get what I'm looking for.

Blog Entries

If you use GIMP you could use RobA's fractalize path script. I think by making a selection and converting the selection to path. Then stroke and there you have it. At least that's how I envision it would work.

Blog Entries

There's the fractalize script that comes with Inkscape. This is a very different kind of fractal and produces a different look from the fractal cloud method. I happen to prefer it for coastlines and rivers where you don't need a DEM.

Blog Entries

When you guys posted this I thought you meant that you wanted a low res outline scaled up and then jittered around the coast so that it had extra fiddly bits but I am now reading it such that you want to make it scaled up and keep the smoothness of the borders. Well, if its the second then you can use the methods described in my tut:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ings-explained.
    for scaling up black and white images.

In any case, once done you can then add the extra noise in the several threads describing that like the one mentioned already. That basically involves generating some cloud like random Perlin noise and then getting your black and white coast, dropping the contrast a lot and then adding the two together and then upping the contrast back to black and white again. Its very simple. I did a tut on that too but I cant find it so easy cos it was years ago.

Although people could write a specific app for that your better off getting Gimp to run a script to do it. Gimp has cloud like Perlin noise or you can make it yourself and runs a scripting language too. I use ImageMagick for scripting up image things which is pretty easy too.

Post 15 of this one is me showing how to do some Perlin noise by hand.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Paint-Shop-Pro