Thread: WIP Regional Map using Saderan Tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Wip WIP Regional Map using Saderan Tutorial

Hey guys,

I finally got PS! I have been having a blast doing the Saderan Tutorial.

At this point, my physical map is pretty much complete (except labeling etc).

Before I move on to trying to figure out how to make a political map out of this, I'm hoping to get some feedback as far as scale, and realism (ie are the mountains, rivers, forests, deserts, etc placed in feasible locations?)

In terms of scale, my goal was to create an area approximately 2,000x2,000 miles... at this 1024x1024 resolution, that works out to about 1p=2m, if I got my math right.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, I'm colorblind, so if any of the colors look weird, let me know (preferably with numrical suggestions for how to fix them).

And, I'll continue to search around, but I'm looking for some nice png or gif images that I can use for the legend, dots, a scale bar, etc. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks alot guys! This site has helped me tremendously. Turned mapping from a writer's chore to an absolute joy.

Thanks a bunch,
    -Alex

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alex WIP Map Large.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	30383

Not a bad start! I hope to see more
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Love your start You've created a really nice map!

Sorry, can't help you on dimensions, sizes and what more, cause I'm a newbie myself. But I'm sure one of the more experienced mappers will be able to help you.

Good luck and have fun too!

Good start! I´m looking forward to see how it develops.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is a fine start...

I think you may need to reconsider your scale, if your current estimate is correct then the large river in the south would be immense.

As for city markers, etc. check out the Mapping Elements forum or if you see something on a specific map you like contact the artist.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Hey SteelGeneral. The southern river is intentionally immense, but I'm thinking perhaps I made it too immense. I am looking to create something Nile dimmensions, but I think I got innaccurate numbers (thus my river ends up at ~8 miles wide).

Let me touch this up and see if I can't make it look a little better.

How is this?

Name:	Alex WIP Map v2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	30391

I'm not sure that the river police will let me get away with the river split/reconnect, but I sure like how it looks .

Thanks for the input guys!
    Last edited by FAHall; 10-24-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Added snow to the northern regions.

Not sure that I'm happy with the "snowy woods", but currently can't figure out how to improve them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Name:	Alex WIP Map v3.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	30396

Thanks!
    -Alex

Blog Entries

The fluvial island really depends on the scale. If the map is large scale, then it's a small island, and that's fine, plenty of rivers have small islands in them. If the river had more twists in it at that stage, and the large and small courses were reversed, I might say it was an oxbow lake forming. On the other hand, as the scale gets smaller, the island gets larger and less probable. It's also less probable that more rugged and/or steep the terrain.

It might make sense to turn that island into a lake, with perhaps a smaller island or group of islands in it.