Thread: Minaria

Guild Applicant

Wip Minaria

First post here. This is an unfinished draft of a campaign map for a planned supplement detailing the world of Minaria (AKA the old TSR Divine Right boardgame), It's still unscaled and missing a hexgrid. Must of the work was done in photoshop with a *tiny* bit of Fractal Mapper to taste. Comments/criticism welcome.

Hi Kellri!

A warm welcome to the Guild!

I've played Divine Right and always thought that their colour choices were a little too garish. Yours looks so much better. I can't think of any comments to make - it all hangs together really well for me. Perhaps the white outer glow on the text in the sea could be reduced a bit? I'm not mad keen on the repeated wave pattern either, it seems to be inconsistent to the style of the rest of the map. Perhaps use subtle changes in tone as you've done with the land?

All the best

Ravs

Welcome Kellri

I think you'll find this is a great place to talk maps, and one where you'll see a myriad of different mapping styles and techniques. I think the map is great. Very clean, very clear and conveys its message well. I particulalry like the shading of the desert area. My only gripe would be the forests and in particular the edges of the forests. I think the edges are a little too clean, as if they have been cut out of paper. I think that if you add some roughnes to the edges it will gretaly improve the look.

Welcome again.
    Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Welcome to the Guild. It's a great place to talk maps.

I really like your map. It's clean and nicely put together.

I would concur with Torq that the forests look a bit fake. One suggestion in keeping with ravells comment--maybe darken the waves deeper blue than the surrounding water just as the mountains are darker than the land around them. Might make them look closer to the overall style.

Hi Kellri!

Nice map! I don't have anything to add except to say it is extremely neat and tidy. I can tell you put a lot of effort into it.

-Rob A>

Welcome, and I must say:

I likey!

I Likey a LOT!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome Kellri, and very nice map!
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Guild Applicant

Thanks for all of the great comments. Still working on the map, which is part of a larger Minaria project. The look I'm going for is a cross between Middle Earth and the Wilderlands from Judges Guild.

Nice map, Kellri. Very straightforward, clean, and primarily depicting believable geography. A couple things to consider: Is there only one forest in this entire continent? Also, the ocean is very flat, unlike the land; would it look better with color variations? The text in the oceans stand out due to the opaque backwash--which seems too soft in comparison with the rest of the map to me; better to just color out the waves behind it?

Just a few thought to consider. Looking good, though! I like it!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]