Thread: September-October Challenge: New Amsterdam

Post September-October Challenge: New Amsterdam

It is far from finished but I'm hoping to finish it off over the next few days. I was really stuck for ideas and decided to make my own version of an old map of the city while adding a little artistic license, so it's not supposed to be highly accurate or anything.

The work in progress version is here currently.

After I've done the main map I intend to play with the style to make it a little more my own.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks fun - interested to see where this goes!

Here is how it looks currently. Still lots more to do but I'm getting there. I'm hoping to finish it today or tommorow. Also I missed the bit about how I should show WIP stuff, so sorry about that.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newyorkwip.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	970.7 KB 
ID:	30430  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice - good colorscheme
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Well here is the finished map part before I go and label it after dinner, any tweaking aside that is. On a side note, when I'm finished, what do I do? Just update the first post with the finished map? (I have never entered a challenge before so I'm not entirely familiar)

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	75 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	30548  

To keep the creation thread sequential I just post the final image as another post at the end. The infamous thumbnail scraper picks it up OK - usually. Just be sure to have the hash tags etc.
    Nice work!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good ... and yes, post the image in the last post with the hex hex hex etc tag ... and the scraper will pick it up
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Looking really nice If you have time you should try to put a little dusting of texture on the water - it looks a little flat compared to the land.

And I'm done! Whew. I could probably start adding lots and lots of details or something but then I'd never stop and I want to keep it nice and clean. I tried to give the water a little more texture and such as suggested. I think large bodies of water like that is something I need to work on in future town maps.

Kinda fun to do something from the real world for a change, it taught me a few things. And I actually managed to participate in a challenge! I am so terrible at meeting deadlines ordinarily and keeping my focus on things, but I think I'll make more of an effort to enter them in future. And thanks everyone for the comments.

Anyway, here it is (with tag for the thing):

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	587 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	30551