Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first try at worldbuilding

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Troedel View Post
    Actualy I copied the colors used in the wilbur shader to the texture for the greyscale hightmap. Itīs not an exported colored picture, I just got used to the colors starring at them for what felt like hours. Colours have been changed. Colorintensity was taken out but the change isnīt great enough right now to justify a new update on the map. I changed the ocean too because I thought the outer shine was to strong and the border to the deep see too aprupt ( spelling? ) Is there a tuturial around how to make a broken threefold coastline around ( the rings around the islands but with breaks in it )? Iīll try to do some more work tomorrow, until then thanks for the comments.
    i use a gradient ala Ascension (like white, brown green) for a boreal area (or white, brown, dark green, light green, tan, and then revese for a global) but taking the colour right from Wilbur is good to, gives it that proffesional modern look. I like it, and as they said it is a very good map as it is, on thing you got better than me is the low land areas, i get more intence hills which is cool, but for fantasy maps where used to a lot "flat" space and your looks perfectly in the middle.

Good to see another good GIMP mapper!

http://lathorien.deviantart.com/#/d30lbjx
    here is a newer example than the ones here, it shows the rivers cut in. (still improving the rivers)

i will also upload the pictures of the rough grayscale i made in 5 min by hand, and then what it looked like when it came out of wilbur to deviant art too ( i cant stand uploading and attaching files here anymore)
    Last edited by Lathorien; 10-26-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Wip

First shot at text, color adjustment, and a quick compass rose, nothing fancy just to get a feel with paths. Iīll look for a nice border, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dimorphwip2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	30465  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks nice, I think I'd shorten the 'distance' of the drop shadows on the compass rose and text though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree, pull it in closer - looking really good
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The terrain is just beautiful!

In addition to the drop shadow issue mentioned by Steel General and tilt, I'd take another look at the continental shelf. In some places the "glow" has the effect of making the nearby landmass look like it's levitating over the water, particularly in the south where the land is a sandier colour.

Just my two cents.
    Thom Ryng

Cruenti Dei Line Editor
    Sardarthion Press

"The real trouble with this world of ours is not that it is an unreasonable world, nor even that it is a reasonable one. The commonest kind of trouble is that it is very nearly reasonable, but not quite." (G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Iīll fix the dropshadow issue and will tweak the compass itself a little bit. The font has got to be a little rougher, itīs too "nice". For the levetating thing you are right thomryng. Iīll try to darken the coastareas a bit to make a connection to the water, hope that solves it. THX for the advice, wouldnīt have seen it.

Wip

I added a nice border ( as nice as it gets right now, itīs harder than it looks ) changed the compass to a less intesive expirience and forgot the dropshadow. Itīs to late now to fix that. But it evolves.

Name:	dimorphwip3.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	30600  

Blog Entries

The terrain looks great and very realistic. Theres a lack of any lakes or water in the lines showing where the rivers would run. Border looks great. No problem. Only thing I can see is that you might well have intended to write see but it might have been sea.

The open ocean water looks very pixelated with the gradients symbolizing the depth. You can easily apply a gaussian blur to this layer(s) and smooth it out and make it more uniform.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Wip

So hereīs another nightly build. I could not see the pixelation mentioned, perhaps it has got to do with jpg compression. Names are hard to come by and I read the pdf about placing names on maps ( itīs somewhere around here on the forum.. ) The neatlines have been tweaked a little bit, they are not true to the pixel but it will do I think. Tomorrow I will start to design the map symbols. The red in the scale bar was chosen as a contrast to the blues and greens of the map, I think I will do the symbols in a dark red too.
    I looked at a satelite image of earth tonight and noticed that only the absolute biggest rivers and lakes show up in a kind of blue at a given distance. Iīve decided against going down that road as the river locations are clearly to identify. So I hope you have fun with this map. Iīm looking forward to suggestions.

Name:	dimorphwip4.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	30651  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast