Thread: October/November Entry: The Bell Tower Inne

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip October/November Entry: The Bell Tower Inne

So, I'm gonna go ahead and toss my hat in on this one and hope that things don't fall apart at work or with the family.

The Bell Tower Inne

Decades ago, when the region was first settled, the local Duke had a bell tower constructed along the river route as a means of providing an early warning in the case of invasion. Once the region had been cleared of most threats, the tower fell out of use until an Inn Keeper happened to buy the property. The Inn Keeper spent considerable time and money converting the tower and the original barracks into one of the most notable Inns in the region. Boasting 5 High-end Suites and an Upper Gazebo in the tower itself, the Inn also has two significant conference rooms, a dozen or more normal suites, an inner courtyard plus a commons room, bar/restaraunt and "entertainment" center. It is equipped with the most modern plumbing fixtures as well as alternative heat sources for the high-end suites.

This is just a rough sketch of the building as a whole. More a point of reference for when I get heavy into the project. Again, I'll have to hope that nothing goes crazy at work or with the family, but if all goes well, it shouldn't take me long to work my way through this one to a finished product. I included the original silhouette, but altered the shape slightly to give the Inne a little more personality, or so I hope.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rough Building Sketch.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	30483  
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice back story - looking forward to seing more
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice start, looking forward to seeing it progress.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

When I got to work on the floor plans, I realized that things weren't going to be sensible in terms of efficiency. That led me to look at the possibility of using a different silhouette. No big deal as I think this version will shape up better than the previous version. My only concern is that I might have stepped a bit too far away from the original shape when I developed the "wings." If that is the case, someone let me know and I'll make the necessary adjustments to fall back withing the parameters of the challenge.

Slapped this model together and cranked out a quick render. It's still pretty rough, and I'll have to fiddle with the heights, but it will, hopefully, give everyone a good idea of where I am trying to go with this. Having removed the inner courtyard, I've decided that the gazebo area may end up serving a dual purpose as both a gazebo and a rooftop garden of sorts. Will have to wait and see how that turns out.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Exterior Render.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	30525  
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Well, I have yet to see anyone disqualified for not following the directions exactly and I don't think anyone will tell you if it's "off" enough that you need to change it. However, when the voting day comes that's when you will know. Everyone has to find some way of choosing who to vote for so if you are out there too far you might loose votes over it. I have also seen entries that IMO were not at all what was asked for and they did such a nice job on them that they just blew everyone away.

I guess what I'm saying is it's a judgment call based on each persons interpretation. I don't think we have any "Challenge Police" to kick you out of the race that is left to the community of voters.

My best advice is to do what you love and let the chips fall where they may. If you "feel" this go for it. It is hard to be inspired over a piece you don't care for and you get more out of yourself when you enjoy what you are doing.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

So, obviously, there hasn't been an update in a while. I should have known better. As the saying goes, "Just when I think it's safe to start participating in challenges again . . . "

In any event, with today being my first day off from work since the last "update," I am respectfully going to have to withdraw from this challenge. Of course, I realize that this means the problems at work will promptly solve themselves just to rub the whole situation in my face, but I don't see any other option at this point. I sometimes wonder if one of my bosses is a member here and just sits there rubbing his/her hands together every time they see me try to participate in a challenge.

GW
    GW