Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2010 Lite Challenge Entry: The Spire

Default October/November 2010 Lite Challenge Entry: The Spire

Well, I finally had a chance to sit down and get started on something. A lot of folks seem to be doing nice town structures to fit in with last month's town concept but since I didn't participate last month, I've decided to do something a little less friendly-looking than a local church or tavern. So, I'm making a dark spire. Not sure what kind yet--it may be home to a viscous witch, a swarm of will-o-the-wisps, or maybe some old guy who just likes a view from high up. I'm sure a thematic motif will evolve as I go. For those of us who start working before we have any idea what we're actually doing, having to name our posts can be disconcerting... so I picked something generic but ominous.

I was also thinking that, once I am finished, I'd love to have this thing plopped into the CWBP if there is anywhere for it to go.

Anyways, this is what I've got so far. More to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lite Challenge First WIP.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	30586  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice tiles RE, like the moss between them
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Looking good.

I like the way you have used shadow to convey depth. Where is the light coming from tho?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Tilt - Thanks a bunch, I like the texture too--it kind of inspired the swampy vibe.

Aval - Thanks, and an excellent question. I am in the process of getting lighting all sorted, so it might look a little messy for a bit (or forever...) but I'll try and address it. Right now I am working on rough layout and getting the right vibe--hopefully it is feeling nice and damp and swampy now. I quite like the will o' the wisps.

I still gotta add some stairs to the top floor, and a bunch more interesting stuff--still don't know what dressing I'm going to put in the place, but that platform in the middle seems to be asking for something ominous, and the third floor has to feature.... something, no doubt.

Name:	Lite Challenge First WIP.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	30677  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 11-08-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

wow - thats amazing! nice work. very creepy!

Thanks my man--I am still wowed by your first challenge entry, the Lookout Island, so your praise means a lot!

Not much to say, still plugging along...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Lite Challenge WIP.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	30775  

Blog Entries

Looks great, Reckless. If I had one criticism it would be that I don't particularly like the font. Or maybe it's just the glow around it. Other than that though, top notch.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks a bunch, Ramah! I'll admit, I'm just awful at picking fonts. I always seem to pick the 'wrong' one. This one was just a placeholder though, so I'll no doubt be switching to a different, equally bad font shortly. I'll take your advice and drop the glow, though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast