Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello out there

Default Hello out there

Hiya. I'm fairly new at this cartography stuff. I got CC3 with the intention of making a map for a book I'm working on currently, but I'm finding it all pretty interesting. I might just keep this hobby, lol. I've never played any RPG's aside from video games, so I'm a bit of a noob in general, lol. Well, I'm here lol. So, hi!

Hey, welcome to the guild. Your name is going to be quite ironic in a few months after you become a carto-expert.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Welcome to the Guild! You'll definitely have to petition for a name change before long.
    M

Guild Member Facebook Connected Big Mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carto-noob View Post
    I've never played any RPG's aside from video games, so I'm a bit of a noob in general, lol. Well, I'm here lol. So, hi!
    There are plenty of people who play computer games, like World of Warcraft, who are interested in maps. (In fact the WoW community is pretty fanatical and has mapped the world of Azeroth down to the exact level of the game.)

If you have a favourite gameworld, even from a video game, perhaps that could be a good subject for you to tackle with a map?
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    New to cartography and seeking advice - eventual goal to make a large number of maps for the many worlds of the Spelljammer Campaign Setting

I picked my name because I feel like I'll pretty much always be a noob... no matter how good I get at this, I'll always feel like there's way more to know lol.

If you have a favourite gameworld, even from a video game, perhaps that could be a good subject for you to tackle with a map?
    I think my favorite game world would be a hard map... It's the world from Skies of Arcadia. A whole bunch of floating islands and atmospheric currents... Kinda hard to map. But I do like a few other game worlds lol. I'm sure I'll have plenty of mapping opportunity. I have plenty of ideas for cool maps. I just lack talent at the moment.

Welcome to the Guild, you are in for a good time.

If you like floating islands maybe you would enjoy golfing on my light challenge map from a couple months back: The Sky Islands. No atmospheric currents though, hehe.

Looking forward to watching your progress as you advance your noobery
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wow that's a pretty cool one lol. There weren't golf courses in it though. I hope I advance quickly lol. Noobery is only fun for the onlookers.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Big Mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carto-noob View Post
    I think my favorite game world would be a hard map... It's the world from Skies of Arcadia. A whole bunch of floating islands and atmospheric currents... Kinda hard to map. But I do like a few other game worlds lol. I'm sure I'll have plenty of mapping opportunity. I have plenty of ideas for cool maps. I just lack talent at the moment.
    I know what you mean. I lack the talent too, right now. But I've had a look around at what the people are doing and I see a ton of inspiration from the skill of others.

Hmm. That does sound hard. Do they actually swap positions, or just move back and forth?

Perhaps you could map each individual island on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    If you like floating islands maybe you would enjoy golfing on my light challenge map from a couple months back: The Sky Islands. No atmospheric currents though, hehe.
    That looks like a good way to show floating islands. Did you do that with a 3D package, and pick the right angle, or do it all with perspective (and a mark one eyeball)?
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    New to cartography and seeking advice - eventual goal to make a large number of maps for the many worlds of the Spelljammer Campaign Setting

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Hmm. That does sound hard. Do they actually swap positions, or just move back and forth?

Perhaps you could map each individual island on its own.
    Well some of them swap positions occasionally if I remember correctly. I've been meaning to dig up my Gamecube games for another playthrough of it recently. It also complicates things that most islands have inhabitants on the surface and in subterranean tunnels within the islands. It was a really visually stirring game. People traveled in airships. I'm talking classic pirate ships, flying through the air on the heavy lower atmosphere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast