Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oktober/november entry - a ruin in the blight

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default oktober/november entry - a ruin in the blight

I never got around to finish the last lite challenge, but I'll stay with my theme for the blowup. This is a house in the town that had been overrun by both trollocs and the blight. For now I added a basic shape of the house and spent some time making the texture for the ground - as always C&C is welcome

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house-blight.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	429.4 KB 
ID:	30627  
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

added a couple of trees, some groves in the ground a road and a path

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	house-blight-02.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	431.3 KB 
ID:	30635  
    Last edited by tilt; 11-01-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

From what I can tell you are using a mask to input the breaks in the walls? The top right corner looks completely gone which is what id like to see in the bottom center where you can still see the wall outline, also theres no break in the southern wall shadow. The shadows of the wall also seem too rounded and not jagged as the walls would illustrate. Additonally as far as I can see the angle of the shadow for the walls doesnt have the same angle as the trees which I'm assuming is a imported png. Also personaly unless it is a paved road or stone pavers I would add some blending of the road textures not a straight defined edge. Aside from that's looks good and has some nice dark feeling to it so far.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Blog Entries

thanks for your great input. I've been changing the road since my last update to go with the (for now) everything made directly in photoshop theme ... the trees are made in photoshop and the shadow is hand painted. The walls are not really ready yet, and to show holes in them I probably will end up hand painting those too - but really good input concerning them. And yep - using a mask to be able to "undo" the damage if needed
    regs tilt

I only have a general sense of PS so that was why I wasn't giving more specific input. But I thinking you would have better shadows if you do a mix of a drop shadow filter and hand painting it. I myself am learning a lot about shadows on my abbey floor plan.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Blog Entries

I love shadows - hand painted and automatic alike. I love the first for what you can do with them, and the last for what they can do for you ... especially try to use the latter for battle map item, so I can just drop them anywhere without having to redo shadows all the time
    regs tilt

Hate to say it, but the repeat on your ground texture is showing. It feels a bit like saying to a lady that she's tucked the back of her skirt into her tights!

:: edit :: or is it? there isn't an obvious repeat but there's something squarish about the ground texture if you know what I mean? (Very minor point).

Otherwise I think it's looking great!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hate to say it, but the repeat on your ground texture is showing. It feels a bit like saying to a lady that she's tucked the back of her skirt into her tights!
    hmmmm ... thats no good, and double anoying since there shouldn't be any repeat, since the whole background where made at once - not by using a texture. So I'm guessing it's some of photoshops effects that are repeating.
    regs tilt

Blog Entries

thanks for the edit ravs, cause I'm sitting and staring myself blind trying to find the repeats *lol* ... managed to see your post before the edit

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	house-blight-04.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	400.8 KB 
ID:	30648  
    Last edited by tilt; 11-01-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    regs tilt

Nice idea, I love WoT
    Only thing wrong, that I can see, other than what geamon said is the floorboards, which look rather new - maybe some rotting and dead foilage? I don't really think this is necessary to point out though, since you're probably doing this as I type.

Ave Alcairdazar! Morituri te salutamus! - Hail Alcairdazar! Those who are about to die salute you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast