Thread: The Melbourne Cup; has anyone else really heard of it?

Default The Melbourne Cup; has anyone else really heard of it?

Tomorrow is Melbourne Cup Day, known locally as 'The Race That Stops The Nation'. A horse race for which we have a public holiday, and the pinacle of our supposedley world famous spring racing carnival. A swag of international celebrities turn up every year, and national productivity drops to it's second lowest level for the year. (After Xmas)

Many people take a 4 or 5 day weekend to mark the occaision. Today the normally clogged highways were empty in anticipation.

So my question is, have any of you regular folk ever heard of it? Or is it a massive beat up? Do any of you have a holiday for a sporting event? Or are we in Melbourne so obsessed with this sport that we have lost all perspective?

Thoughts?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

never head of it - sorry
    and nope, we don't have time of for any sporting event in Denmark, although some football (not american) fans take a day of from work if the national team is playing - but that goes from their holidays so its pretty much up to them how to spend them
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    never head of it - sorry
    and nope, we don't have time of for any sporting event in Denmark, although some football (not american) fans take a day of from work if the national team is playing - but that goes from their holidays so its pretty much up to them how to spend them
    How ironic, as Crown Prince Frederick Of Denmark was one of the recent notable attendees.

I've heard of it but I wasn't aware of the importance it seems to have.
    We don't have any national holidays associated with sporting events in the UK. We do have "The Grand National" though, which attracts people to bet who would normally never take an interest in horse racing at any other time.
    On a vaguely unrelated issue.
    We are leading up to another "celebration" in the UK though. I think all nations have a day particularly for setting off fireworks - for most it is New Years Day/Eve. Here it is November 5th - "Guy Fawkes Night". This is a wonderfully un-PC event accompanied by the burning - in effigy - of the Roman Catholic (I suppose today he would be labelled) "terrorist". Children are/were encouraged to make an effigy of him to burn at the stake on the 5th.
    Does anyone have any old and wonderfully un-"PC" celebrations like this?
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@ aval *lol*... yeah... Frederik and I sort of lost touch
    @ crayons yeah, we got Sankt Hans (midsummer) in Denmark, where we light a bonfire and stuff a witch on top of if. And i Sweden we have midsummer where we have the maypole and dancing. And both events are of course accompanied by lots of food and drink
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

@ Crayons One other place they do Guy Fawkes day is New Zealand. Normally illegal fireworks are available on every street corner for one week. I've never seen it sold as 'burn a terrorist day' tho.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 11-01-2010 at 10:14 AM.

I'll be honest and thought...Was some sort of Yacht Racing event or something.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Heard of the name only. Canadians don't have a holiday either. I think there is more of a turn out of people to watch an olympic finals match then compared to a NHL finals for hockey. Other sports have a strong following here as well but nothing really to write home about.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.