Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest attempt at RobA's tute

Default My latest attempt at RobA's tute

Hi, I don't know if this is the best or right place for this, but here goes.
    I've been practicing and can consistently follow the tute up to the start of Post 10, but I get lost from the point where I have to bring up the levels box and adjust the band of white on black. I'm hoping that some kind soul(s) out there might have the time and patience to help me through my latest stumbling block. This is where I can get to:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	up to land mask copy before merge.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	30641  

Blog Entries

You need to merge this layer down onto the blurry one. Then go to color>invert to make the black line white. Then Color>Levels and play with the input sliders. Generally input starts at Black 0, Gamma 1.0 and White 255. In RobA's example he has slid the values to Black 174, Gamma 2.29 and White 194 if I recall correctly. For me the main thing to look out for is how much dirt layer you want to show on your coast. You could tweak it by painting the mask later or you can do it by playing with the levels to get the thickness you want. Give it a try and post your results.

Cheers Hohum,
    I can't believe how easy that was once I had read your post. I'll continue with my attempt. No doubt I'll run into problems before long again.

Name:	latest triumph.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	30661  

This isn't the same map, but it's the standard of what I can manage in the tute now. I've been trying the simple mountain tute the last couple of days, but am stumped again. Will post my efforts late (gotta go pick up my 11 year old from dancing)

Name:	standard.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	30763  

I'm back. The 3 Ws kept me occupied for a while (wife, weans and work). I've been trying the simple mountains tute for the last couple of days and this is what I can manage. Not perfect by a long chalk I know, but I'm happy to be improving (no matter how little or slow!). C and C welcome.

Name:	zeroone.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	30999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zerofive.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	31000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zerofivetwo.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	31001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zeroonethree.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	31002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rubbish.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	31003  

Thank yob RobA. I consider that praise from Caesar.
    Here's my first (and only, so far) attempt at adding forests using the Textured Forests In Gimp. I know they don't look right, but I was happy just to make it through the tute without totally messing up.

Name:	01.11.10 try3forests.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	31118  

Tried another:

Name:	05.11.10 mountain try.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	31119  

Somehow I stalled at the Simple mountains. The more I tried, the worse I got. I tried K Davies' tute and am quite happy with the results, but I'd appreciate any c & c. (I'm still experimenting with sizes and colours

Name:	31.10.10 kdavies try.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	31249  

There seems to be alot of subtle horizontal and vertical lines that make the map look unnatural. I've never made a map of this type so I don't know what would fix it. Your mountains are looking good. Keep it up
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast