Thread: Hi all

Guild Novice

Default Hi all

Hi everybody, my name is Ander. My brother-in-law told me about CG. I'm glad he did because I love maps, always have, real and imagined ones. I've seen so many wonderful maps over the last two days since joining and I'm hoping to put some of my map making abilities (such as they are!) to good use. I can only hope to come up with something half as awesome as I've seen here. I have my own world I'd like to develop eventually (Thuria), but right now I'm wanting to map out some established fantasy worlds for my own amusement.

Recently I've been making plans to create my own version of Stephen R. Donaldson's 'The Land.' It's been well established map-wise, there's even an atlas of it that came out in 1985 from Karen Wynn Fonstad. But I want one with all the place names, something that can be framed and put on the wall, something I'VE made. I really love that world; been reading the Thomas Covenant series for 27 years now. Always in the back of my mind I've wanted to create my own map of that world. I'm hoping to finally make that a reality over the next few months and into the coming year.

First I gotta learn a few things, especially computer stuff, before that happens. Looking forward to watching some of the great tutorials I've seen on here.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys. See you around CG!

Welcome from a new mapper! Wish you loads of mapping fun here at CG It's a great place, lots of resources and I think you'll find your way in no time.
    [cartography newbie]

My deviantART gallery will be updated with a separate cartography folder.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi Ander, welcome to the guild - lots of good tutorials for all kinds of maps inhere - and when you're ready to post your own works (in progress) make a WIP thread and post away
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild! I'm not familiar with The Land, but I think Fonstad is the one that did Atlas of Middle Earth? If so I imagine it's a real beauty. I've always wanted that book but, for some reason, never picked it up.
    M

Yes, Fonstad did Middle-Earth, the Land, and Pern.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave