Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Town of Population ~5,000

Default Fantasy Town of Population ~5,000

Offer: Your artistic talent is priceless, but I'm a poor man. I'm offering $20 via PayPal, but wish I could offer more. The price is open to negotiation. Contact me via PM here to discuss rates.

References: I've commissioned DevinNight several times (and would be very happy to work with him again!).

Time Limit: I'm not in a big hurry, but getting the map in a couple weeks would be very nice. The project it's for is currently live.

Style: I am looking for a map in the following style --

http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=28511
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=29676

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...9-Snagglefjord

Notice that while these maps are highly detailed, that's not really what I'm after. I'm just after buildings and roads and a nice landscape around it. Keep it rather simple.

Description of Map: The map will be used for a role-playing game. The map is of Brecconary, a medium-sized medieval fantasy city of about 5,000 people. It is located on the northwest coast of an ocean bay (the bay's mouth opens to the south east). The area in which it's located is lush and green with broad-leaf temperate forests. Other than that, I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for. I'd like to use it to orchestrate and inspire my own imagination of what's in the town and where it's at. Also, it's part of an RPG wiki, so others will want to name buildings and such as well. So, a blank key might be helpful.

Quality & Size

• Semi professional;
    • Required for web;
    • Dimensions of map: Your discretion. At least 1,000x1,000 px, though the town doesn't have to occupy that whole area.

Copyright: I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Special Request: If you create the map in GIMP, I would also really like a copy of the .xcf file. Thanks!

Thanks for your consideration!

More information available upon request.

I honestly just scribbled something out as fast as I physically could do it with my finger on the touchpad of my laptop. I forgot to add a few docks.

That is about the density I'd like, though. Yeah, I was just scribbling real fast and got buildings on top of each other, but I think you'll see my point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	30659

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now I don't have time to do this, but concidering the above image - I'd say that if you made all the houses as black rectangles (etc) in a separate layer yourself, you just need someone to spruce it up afterwards - and you've taken away the most boring part of making the map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I just used RobA's brush that made them instantly and scribbled them in there as fast as possible. It's all one layer and I just saved it as that jpg up there. I'd say less than 3 minutes was taken doing it.

Well your examples need only a2area's "Sheinar" to round out what I would put in the best of the best category. I have yet to do up a town map like these myself or I would attempt it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

There are a couple others that would be on my top 5 list, but they don't fit what I'm seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Notice that while these maps are highly detailed, that's not really what I'm after. I'm just after buildings and roads and a nice landscape around it. Keep it rather simple.
    Like I say, I'm not seeking the level of detail posed in the examples. I don't know what else to call it. If not "detail," then what? "Awesomeness?" I'm just looking for a simple town map and everyone asks for examples so I posted what I like. Don't know what else to post.

I keep saying that I'll make my own but I keep failing over and over. I get so frustrated. I write. I don't draw anymore. It'd be cool to employ an artist to help me realize my imagination.

Would something like this interest you? Doesn't take all that long to do, and I'd be happy to do it for you if you donated that $20 to the Guild (use the donate button).

It's nowhere near as classy as the ones you put up as examples though. Bear in mind I will be abroad from this Sunday, so if I don't get it done by then, it will need to wait for a couple of weeks until I get back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export_02.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	4.58 MB 
ID:	30669  

'Twould be very interested.

Just donated $20.

Thanks very much for your kind offer!
    Last edited by Sharpe; 11-03-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Great! Have a look at this for starters. Are you OK with the general shape of the town and general number of buildings?

Are there any notable areas (besides the docks) that you would like to see Or are you happy doing those yourself? I highly recommend that you download inkscape. I'm making this in vector and you will be able to edit and move around buildings add labels, make buildings and the roads different colours etc, very easily.

:: edit :: I should add this is a rough outline...I just want to be sure you're happy with the number of houses / distribution / density etc before I clean it up and detail it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_01.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	633.8 KB 
ID:	30674  

Wow! Hey, man, that's great. Wasn't expecting anything nearly this soon. Love it already!

The area is under constant monster attacks from the north, so a wall will be needed. There's one road to the east, one to the west, and one to the north (should have said that). It probably needs to be a denser and more huddled to the ocean bay if that's about how many buildings we're going with. Monsters will have laid siege to the town at least two or three times in the last 50 years.

The road leading east leads directly to the capital and the one to the north leads through some rocky hills to a small village. The one to the west leads to another, smaller town.

I really don't have too much in mind for the town. It just kind of needs to serve as a visual reference and placeholder to list different named locations such as the black smith, inn, etc. The only place that's been named so far is The Cracked Mug tavern, a seedy little hole-in-the wall bar.

I'll go ahead and add this to the wiki as a WIP.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast