• Larb - New Amsterdam

17 42.50%
  • Lumisade - New York Of Hope

11 27.50%
  • Moutarde - 21st Century Manhattan, 19th Century Style

6 15.00%
  • Mrmox42 - Goblins in the Statue of Liberty

10 25.00%
  • popup - Visit Beautiful New Amsterdam!

6 15.00%
  • Ravells - South Manhattan in Anagrams

9 22.50%
  • RecklessEnthusiasm - USS New York

5 12.50%
  • RjBeals - Roots of Hip Hop

30 75.00%
  • Sapiento - Post Apocalyptic NY

3 7.50%
  • Sapiento - Carte de Nouvelle Reims (ancien New York)

10 25.00%
  • Tilt - Sector 234-B [New York]

8 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** September-October Super Challenge VOTING: Mapping the Big Apple ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default *** September-October Super Challenge VOTING: Mapping the Big Apple ***

The largest challenge we've ever run has come to a close. The challenge was to create a map of New York for an upcoming gallery show at the Soho Gallery for Digital Art. We have a wide variety of entries and I'd like to take the opportunity to congratulate everyone who successfully finished a submission - this was a huge task.

Please have a look over the Thumbs here:

This month we have 26 entries, so please vote for your top 6 (six) maps. Remember to rep any map that you vote for, as well as any others that you feel deserve it.

This poll will close in 4 days time (the 7th of November).
    Last edited by torstan; 11-03-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Only 6. Impossible. I printed the thumbnail page, and am using small post-it sticky notes to help with choices. I have 9 maps selected, and I don't know how I'm going to take 3 away.

Good luck everyone!

Here's my six picks and why.

RjBeals: Very nice work man. I love someone who has a varied and lively palette of colors.
    cereth: Hints at Lovecraftian styled New York stories that are just waiting to be written.
    Djekspek: I just love your isometric hand drawn look, inspiring.
    Larb: Awesome RPG styled map, makes me wanna play some sessions based in that time.
    Lumisade: Very creative and inspiring. Hoping that you can continue to contribute from time to time even though you more into creative art.
    Moutarde: I love the simplicity of the style and how the off white colors are only hinted at but make the difference.

Again props to everyone I wish I could have been motivated and finished my piece.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

I have a couple questions - First, didn't you do a map Torstan?

Second, I noticed on Ravells' map that he had the CC stamp on it. Is that a problem for the gallery being able to sell it? For some reason I was thinking you needed to leave that off. Maybe that was rules from another contest or maybe they are only selling the "printing" so it doesn't matter? Or, maybe it should be removed. Just pointing it out.

Lots of really fine looking entries folks.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I believe that CC never stops the actual copyright owner (Ravells) from selling a copy of his work - but I'll let an actual lawyer (like Ravells ) answer that one.

I did put together a couple of pieces but they didn't get to the point of being finished by the deadline. I pulled them out from the voting and will keep on working on them.

All of these entries are just amazing. I am postponing my vote for a few days because I don't have enough free time at hand and because I really want to check every single map.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Larb: New Amsterdam - plain and simple, but georgous. The docks/boats won this vote from me.

Immolate: Zombies in Central Park - Still looking for the zombies!? You spent a ton of time detailing this out, and it's georgous. The newspaper font and border bring it together nicely. Great job.

Djekspek: New York Makeover - I wish I could do that. You have such a talent. While I don't really consider this a map, it sure is a piece of art. You have such control over that pen.

Cereth: Never York - This map looks like it came straight from a genuine historic collection. The soft grays and blues blend so well. Very soft. I love it.

Sapiento: Carte de Nouvelle Reims - Something about the feel of this map just appeals to me. The aged parchemnt with the red borders looks great.

and of course, RjBeals: Hip Hop - I spent too much time not to vote for myself

And, once again, I can't count. I only voted for four...doh. Mine were for Djekspek, Gallifreyan, RjBeals, and Sapiento (#2). Nice work everyone!
    M

My votes went to (in random order)

RJBeals (Ofc. The colourscheme is amazing. And the history behind it makes it even better)
    Sapiento (The PApeice. I really like how this turned out, the bevel may be slightly to harsh tho, but I forgive you )
    Larb (Real clean and nice, I've never tried CD3 tho, so I don't now if this is easy to make or not)
    Popup (Love the cute little ISOgraphics and the work lay down in the advertisement and ****s)
    Djekspek (Wow, this was a last minute save. I love drawings like this)
    Crayons ("New Amsterdam in Three Deee". 'Cause I just love Three Dee.)

If I had two more votes they would go to Crayons disastermap (Was waiting for a nice colourscheme or something, sorry. It looks too messy) and probably Cereth (Too pale for my taste, sorry..)
    Last edited by Marken4; 11-06-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Marken4: It was made in photoshop by the way, not CD3.

I always find voting difficult usually because I hate ranking things or I want to pick more, but I ended up voting for:

RJBeals: I thought the map looked really nice but was also really informative.
    Crayons: I really like seeing three dimensional maps like this and it was also nice to see someone elses version of New Amsterdam.
    DjekSpek: I'm a big fan of architecture and building diagrams and I thought this one was great! And now I know what the fort is supposed to look like!
    Immolate: It was nice to see a map of the park and it looked very nice.
    Industrial Helix: I thought the map had a nice dreamy quality to it and was very visually pleasing.
    Mrmox42: This one was really cute!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast