Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wastelands Ambush - Commission map for Silver Crescent

Default Wastelands Ambush - Commission map for Silver Crescent

Hi all,
    This is an encounter map for an adventure by Silver Crescent Publishing for its Realms of Twilight campaign setting. Basically, the PCs are travelling through some trackless wastes and are ambushed by a tribe of scary barbarian type halflings called "nightlings". They're well hidden in the hills surrounding the PCs and have nasty blowguns. Halfway through the battle a group of shadows, attracted by the combat, burst onto the scene - the area is fairly infused with necromantic energy. It's one of those battles you love to hate as a player.

The WiP thread is here. I learned a lot working on this map and I may be doing more in a similar style if the publisher and I can work out an arrangement (we're trying to do a services barter sort of thing, since we're both small publishers).

Hope you like it.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wastelands-Encounter.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	30681  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that ended up really nice - great job
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Nice colors, good atmosphere. Well done!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Bravo! Well done...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks all. I'll apparently be doing a couple more of these for Silver Crescent as well as a map of a castle - in exchange the publisher is going to help me with some of the fuzzy bits of my mythology/cosmology, something at which I do not excel. So. Look for more of these in the coming weeks.
    M

Great atmosphere! Nice map. Love the trees and all the detail in the ground -- so realistic!

BTW, I really like how the ground turned out too. I used a picture of cracked ground found at www.imageafter.com and edited out the out-of-scale stuff (grass, etc.) using clone stamp and paint tools. Then I separated out the cracks (dark) and little brush debris (light) into two layers so that I could amp them up while toning down the background texture. All of the little scrub and bone-like bits are painted into separate layers using sampled brushes that I got from a covermount disc in an issue of ImagineFX - $17 magazine on fantasy painting, but worth every penny.
    M

I'll just put the others in this series here as I do them. This is an encounter with some ?werewolves? at a campsite in an area of grasslands. Same WiP thread as before.
    M

Edit: BTW, the hokey titling on thise probably won't be on the finals. It's just something I added while working on them...providing flattened, unlabled files to the client.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campsite-Encounter.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	34654  

Guild Apprentice FrancoisGoulet's Avatar
    Blainville, Quebec, Canada (M4HG+V8 Blainville, Québec)

I just love the realism! This one is going straight into my Inspiration folder (or my "mearrin69" folder into my Inspiration folder )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast