Thread: Huge Database on castle floorplans / sketches

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Post Huge Database on castle floorplans / sketches

Hello everybody,
    i just stumbled upon a great database from the European Castle Institute ("Europäisches Burgeninstitut") where you can browse thousands of castle-floorplans, sketches of architectural details, etc. Like they call it on the website, it's a real "treasure-trove" for castelologists There are mainly german castles, but also quite a lot of castles from other countries. Maybe it's useful for some of you for inspiration and research.

Although they have an english and french version of the website (or parts of it) the access to the databases seems to be working only via the german site here.
    There you can browse the "Plan-Datenbank" (you have a full-text-search or detailed search, but i'd recommend to keep the fields clear an just click on "Finden". It will show you all entries)

You also have a link there to the "EBIDAT" castle-database, which contains entries of ca. 4000 european castles (Denmark, Finnland, Latvia Netherlands, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary and Germany) with a lot of historical information around (sometimes floor-plans too) in german and the respective language from where the castle is ...(oh boy, not sure about my english grammar oO)

HAPPY DIGGING!

PS: If you should have proplems with "ze german language" on the site, just ask, i'll try to translate...
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 03-15-2015 at 09:45 PM. Reason: messed up the links

Nice. Thanks for posting this Abu. I will have to dig in there later this week.