Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oakfall

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Oh hey. Totally didn't realize there was a second page. Everything on this page is fantastic. The size is good, and the mountains are really pretty. I feel as though the trees in the brown ink one are a bit unclear, but that might be what you're going for. Everything else, though, I love.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Arhan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*cough* Sorry for the disappearing. I changed residences last year and lost some of the naming notes I had for the map, and pretty much just forgot about it/ set it aside until I acquired a new computer recently and moved my WIP files. Like, "...oh hey I have an unfinished map". Put on some base colors and attempted color schemes, and decided to go full CG painting.

Color scheme:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falls1f2colortest.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	46115

Newest WIP, around half the original size:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falls1f3c2.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	536.7 KB 
ID:	46116

I'm not giving up finding the notes yet (they're for plains/rivers/other natural landmarks, thankfully the settlements names are already overlaid on a layer in the WIP), but I still have the unsorted name list. If those notes are really lost, I'll just.. decide new names.
    Finished Maps: OakfallHand-drawn Battlemaps

Wow... great color scheme so far. Do you plan to keep with the watercolor look or will you tighten it up and make the colors sharper? The thumbnail looks great, I was just surpised when I clicked through the second image to notice a watercolor feel. Not that there is anything wrong with that look, I am just wondering(though personally, I prefer a bit tighter look vs the watercolor style, but that's just me...it's a very nice map regardless.) Also, do you plan to add a splash of color to the trees or is this it?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Thankyou, and, they will be tightened-- build up, toned down, overlaid.. at this point the basemap is treated like an illustration in general. About the trees.. I have no idea/ haven't decided yet. I attempted adding (green) colors but it shifted the whole brown-copper scheme, so if they're getting colored, it'll probably shades of brown-red instead of green? I'll definitely at least darken them, though. They don't look much different from the plains and mountains as it is.

Wow, this is just dripping with potential. Can't wait to see this one develop further!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

Alright, it dragged (..couldn't find some notes, a backup folder went missing or so) but unless there's anything you guys think I should improve, it's done. Hopefully I can be more efficient next map, by applying the things I learned from working on this~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oakfall_by_Obliro.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	556.1 KB 
ID:	49274  
    Last edited by Arhan; 10-23-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Woah! I loved every bit of this thread! The result is beautiful. I really hope there will be more?!
    Have some Rep. .
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I agree with my esteemed colleague. Freakin' fantastic work. I'm glad you decided to go with green shades for the trees; didn't disrupt the color scheme, and gives some additional depth to the whole thing.

Hot Damn! this is amazing! I can't see anything to add to it. In fact, I think I see a Cartographers Choice award in your near future.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Fantastic map, love the colors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast