Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oakfall

Blog Entries

Well, the mountains are amazing, but I think the border and the labels detract from it.

The border just doesn't fit. It isn't actually bordering the extent both in that it is inside the extent of the map, and that it has so many breaks and irregularities. It also just looks like it was stamped on quite artificially. I think you should just let the map stand on its own without a border. I don't think the compass is really helping either.

The labels are almost unreadable in places due to the poor contrast and overly ornate typefaces. The wide variety of typefaces also causes a bit of a clash. It also looks like you were trying to fake putting text on a path by breaking it into sections and rotating it. Try a "text along path" tool if your software has it, or maybe download Inkscape if not. Don't try to use an envelope deformation, that will just make the text look "smeared".

Your rivers are a bit hard to read as well. They kind of blend into the background in places.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Arhan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eilathen : Thankyou this one is hopefully done, but if you're asking if I'm working on more maps, I have a new one being checked for composition and concept. ♥

Diamond : Ah I'm glad if it works, I was wondering if it'd look too much like mold >.> thanks!

arsheesh : Hahaha thank you!

Bogie : Thank you! I tried to keep it autumny and warm

Hai-Etlik : I see what you mean with rivers/ bodies of water, the text are mostly adjusted to land (colors), so they do look pretty lost on dark blue-brown. Should be easy enough to fix. The curvey texts are made with text to path, I did all the naming with AI CS3/4.. so I don't get how it would look rotated.

About the borders.. I've tried several variations. Solid/ornate frame borders, no borders, etc, and all other didn't look as good as the initial design. There's a space on the left that is too wide to be borderless/ free from graphical elements; frame border would only aggravate the problem, while cropping it makes the plaque and sea look imbalanced. This border follows the rough sketch pretty closely, and as far as I can tell, seems to work best. Zooming in, I noticed a few jagged lines and smoothed some of them, I hope that would help the pasted-on look you mentioned.

Here's slightly larger, edited map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oakfall_by_Obliro-large.jpg 
Views:	27124 
Size:	702.9 KB 
ID:	49286  
    Last edited by Arhan; 10-24-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Finished Maps: OakfallHand-drawn Battlemaps

Quote Originally Posted by Obliro View Post
    Eilathen : Thankyou this one is hopefully done, but if you're asking if I'm working on more maps, I have a new one being checked for composition and concept. ♥
    Well, a new one is also good. Looking forward to it.
    But, i was talking about fleshing out the rest of this world Why? Well, with this map...there's so much hinted at of the parts that are adjacent to Oakfall...it makes me curious as hell
    Btw, is there also a history to Oakfall (i mean flavour text fleshing out the setting)? Or is this "just" a map?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Beautiful map! I was so sad when this thread went silent for a time... It is great to see that you have not abandoned the project. The final result looks amazing! I love pretty much everything about this map, the mountains, the atmosphere, the warm colours, the border... One thing that bothers me is that the labels are hard to read in several places, it is a minor thing though. I am very much looking forward to seeing your next map. I have to second Eilathen that it would be awesome to see what lies beyond Oakfall.

this is crazy beautiful... some talented artists here... thanks for the inspiration.

Those mountains...I just...I don't even...
    I really need to figure out how to make mountains like that...it boggles the mind.

Thanks for the recent activity here, wouldn't have wanted to miss this great piece of work. Truly magnificent

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234