Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Creation

Default Race Creation

Is there a possibility to make a race? I would love making one It would be a problem if everyone suddenly decided to make their own race and populate their land with it tho...

What did you have in mind?

Guild Novice

Hallo Marken4,

hvurden ga°r det med deg?

If I get you right you want to create a race? So what do you need - some sugestions for that or what?

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    What did you have in mind?
    Of course he means a race, like elves, dwarves, halflings - but something new.

I am building player character races right now for my Kaidan setting, so I know exactly what he is talking about. However I am too busy on the publication to help here, but when I have some time, I'll give my thoughts.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Start with an adjective or a profession to base the race off of, such as:

Elf - Graceful
    Dwarf - Miner
    Goblin - Greedy
    Gnome - Craftsman

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

or look at what inspires you....
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

10k - now that's a good race....

sorry, bad joke, hehe, or is it?

We could call them "Tinkay". A race of small stature, capable of incredible endurance due to their greater lung capacity compared to body size. They are renown messengers as they are small enough to elude patrols and their endurance enables them to keep moving for long periods of time. Why nearly everyone has heard of the human saying "On account of a horseshoe nail the battle was lost"? It would not have been so was there a Tinkay runner nearby. ROFL

Well, anyway...I always find a little humor helps to blow out the cobwebs
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

actually....

you got me thinking there Jax....

like a quickling but not really......

ooo I like
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

See what I mean? hehe, hope you come up with something excellent.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

For the non-human races of Kaidan I am creating Kappa, Hengeyokai and Tengu.

Kappa - the turtle shelled diminuitive goblin of Japanese folklore, the main aspects I touched upon in the creation of my version are: small stature (2 to 2.5 feet tall), natural armor due to shell on back, 2 claw attacks, free unarmed combat feat (despite the claws to comply to feat prerequisites), some Ki powers, weakness in the hollow spot on the top of their heads for sacred water, a special attack maneuver required to spill that water, no combat maneuverability penalty due to size, and a special skill at breaking bones in combat. The Kappa's main feature is a diminuitive monster race that is actually good at physical combat. They are slow on foot (20' speed) but fast in water, Swim (40', but increases with level).

Hengeyokai - animal shapechangers with an especially sylvan affinity, they make good rangers, druids and barbarians. Without Wildshape powers they can shapechange to a specific animal and human form, both considered their other true forms as they cannot disguise themselves to look like a different human. Species including: Badger, Cat, Dog, Hare, Monkey, Raccoon Dog, and Rat forms. They feature a trickster paragon class.

Tengu - bird (crow or owl) forms, not a shapechanger, includes sorcerers, fighters and paladins, with a not-yet-determined paragon class. We're using the basic racial stats for Tengu from Pathfinder Bestiary 1, but changing the subtype from Oni to Yokai (oni are only demons in Kaidan).

While there will be other monster races, the above three are the only ones available to player characters. Each will be published as its own PDF book, and In the Company of Kappa has already been released - available at RPGNow, DriveThruRPG and the Paizo Store.

Humans still comprise the bulk of character races and several classes are exclusive to humans, including Inquisitor (metsuki) as they are members of the Shogunate Secret Police (and thoroughly evil), while most of the animal yokai races above are neutrally aligned (some good, some evil). The empire and shogunate are rather ethnocentric in their beliefs and tolerations.

Its very cool working on new racial traits, optional racial traits, class archetypes, yokai paragon classes, yokai specific religion, feats and weapons, as well as backstory, origin mythos, and each one's view of society and the world.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast