Thread: Total newbie on the loose!

Post Total newbie on the loose!

Hello you all! A little fantasy- and gaming-geek coming to join this very interesting-looking site!
    I know pretty much nothing about mapping, but am very eager to learn, just having finished my first proper map ever with some help from this site (I've been lurking here for a couple of days). My older hobbies include creative writing and art in general, a pretty good basis for mapping and tabletop roleplaying games, something I thought I would also try to get into. I'm starting up with a dusty, crippled and old Photoshop Elements 2, and plenty of bitterness, since a lot of the tutorials and brushes refuse to work on my silly PS. Despite the resistance I face from technology, I'm riding to victory with the power of a pen and paper!

I hope I can find my place in here, despite perhaps a little lacking in skills compared to most of you here (pretty much all of the maps I've seen here have been jaw-droppingly awesome).

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi Mephet, welcome to the guild. We all have to start somewhere, and our tutorials are a good place to begin ... and to recieve help as you work, post your work-in-progress in the WIP threads ... happy mapping
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome. Unless you are married to the PS elements interface, maybe you should download GIMP and give those tutes a try.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!
    I did download GIMP today. It'll need some getting used to, but after a couple of simpler tutorials and making some basic dungeon maps, I think I might end up liking GIMP a lot. Thanks for the tip.

I heard there was a mod that makes the GIMP GUI appear/feel more like photoshop if you prefer it. Someone here can probably point you towards it.