Thread: Mountain Pass Encounter Map

Default Mountain Pass Encounter Map

Hi all,

I'm working on a few maps for Open Design that need to read well in B&W. This being my first professional mapping gig, I was hoping for a little feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clear the Way Rough.jpg 
Views:	970 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	30782

This is a midway stage of an encounter map. Players approach in the mountain pass, while monsters on the cliffs attack them below. I'm not 100% convinced that reads easily at first glance.

I still need to build the monster tokens and map key. The monsters are clever enough to build a bridge, so I'm also debating fleshing their camp out a bit.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

As you cannot work with colours here, you should consider this when creating the tokens. You should go for easily distinguishable shapes, either simple readable symbols or clear top-down views.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good - perhaps a little more shadow to convey the depth of the valley? But the hanging bridge does do most of the work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    As you cannot work with colours here, you should consider this when creating the tokens. You should go for easily distinguishable shapes, either simple readable symbols or clear top-down views.
    For the monster icons, I was just planning to use white circles with a heavy black outline. Maybe include a lite inner glow to give them a slight shade at the edges. They'll be just about the only white objects on the page, so they should read easily.