Thread: Hello from Argentina

Default Hello from Argentina

Hello to all of you guys, nice to meet you. My name is Franco, I'm a student and I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm quite interested in cartograpy and in creating fake worlds (or maps) but I have no clue on how to do it. I've managed to create a "map" of a country

but it sucks. (Don't tell me it doesn't)

I would like improve my techniques and make the maps look a lot more realistic.

Thanks

Franco
    Last edited by Franco; 11-09-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Hi, Franco - welcome to the Guild!

I see you have also
    asked if anyone would be interested in building a country map from your outline. If you want to learn to make your own maps, it might be more useful for you to just start yourself. Pick a tutorial that demonstrates a style you like, and see what you can do. The fact you already have an outline brings up an interesting thought - you could use the one outline for several different learning projects. Do not be shy about "learning in public". Every mapmaker who shows us the process by which he improves, teaches us all something.

It doesn't, it doesn't, it doesn't. Sorry - it's the rebel in me, when told to not do something. :-) But really, it's a perfectly believable outline. There's just not enough *there* for it to be bad, if that makes sense. Can you tell us what you want to do with the map?

Do you already have in mind details about your imaginary country? That will make as much difference in what methods you choose, as the style you like will. Forests, deserts, mountains, steppe, volcanoes, swamps? Is it a great maritime nation in the age of sail? A tiny modern city-state? An empire of dwarves, or the lair of dragons? Do you have in mind a scale - is what you show ten thousand kilometers across, or ten kilometers? A land at war with itself, or the domain of a prosperous and peaceful people?

-- Jake

Welcome to the Guild!

And it doesn;t suck. Sure it is plain right now, but already I see a large Naval Nation, border by two other nations around a portion of an Inland Sea.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.