Thread: You push a little button...

Default You push a little button...

I came across this song in an advert and was instantly enchanted.

It explains (very beautifully) why I love the hand drawn work of people like DJspek and Torstan and why I find cookie cutter maps made by pushing buttons are always going to be second rate.

... and you've got to love the dark (and very real) fear of the 60's and 70's of nuclear war in such a jolly song.

Ravs

Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJVj2x9wNk

Ohhhh noes I'm second rate!! Haha funny link. I just wish I pursued art classes more avidly when I was in school instead of being a mechanic. Maybe then my freehand skills would be much better. But agreed I <3 hand drawn.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hehe... the modern kitchen - oh the luxury
    and I love handdrawn maps too (if done well), and Geamon, remember that computer maps doesn't nescesarily mean cookie cutter maps (which I'm guessing is when you just put prefabricated elements together, or it is in my book) - you can handdraw with computers as well. The computer is just a tool, so you just got bumped up to 1st rate again
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I'm with you ravells.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I will be so happy once I am good enough to be second rate.

Before anyone thinks we mean those who use "cookie cutter buttons" are not worthy as mappers I might just add that there are indeed some incredible maps that have been made using such techniques. Some on this website have used the brushes and whatnots others have provided for these purposes to create gorgeous maps. The thing is that when you know someone created every line and pixel and crafted a map/image out of nothing it's just that much MORE impressive.

I love to see the maps that people make, you never know when one of them will inspire you and it's always fun when a map sucks you in and you find yourself traveling about in it. Those are the gems. So, while we all adore it when someone makes one from the raw elements, it is also nice to see a pretty map done even using more 'stamped' technologies. You can still put together an awesome design and layout even if you can't draw to save your life!

Without the sharing attitude of this community I'm sure there are quite a few who would have given up on maps a long time back and if you quit now just because you can't draw it from scratch that would leave few of us which would be sad. So, whatever your ability, whatever your skill, go forth and MAP.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well put Jax - and I agree lots of beautiful maps made with other peoples brushes. Always great to see what people come up with no matter how they work and what is better than a map you just want to travel into
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise