Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: November Challenge: Grimm's Gate

This is great, Immolate! I have been fiddling with sketchup for mapping too, and this is the kind of thing that inspires me to try harder! Really nice!

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot! I'm finding that one of the biggest practical differences between Sketchup and Photoshop is that Sketchup imposes a requirement for workflow. You have to know what you're doing or there's a good chance you're going to wind up doing it twice. This has been a recurring theme for me. Of course doing it over gives you a chance to do it better, but it is also an eater of time. I'm sure once I'm further up the learning curve, it will improve. I'm beginning to wonder, however, if I'd be better advised to switch to another 3D program after this project. But for now, Sketchup is getting it done and you can't beat the price.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Those towers are pretty awesome! I've been thinking about messing around with Sketchup but alas there aren't enough hours in the day for all the things I want to do.

Looking great so far!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Blog Entries

I've been grabbing time here and there to work on the castle. I've started on the castle proper and have got most of the gatehouse in, along with the foundation. If any of you are castle lovers, you may recognize the one that I'm using as a model for this, with lots of creative license of course. Two views in two different styles.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	31064
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	31065
    ----------

Neuschwanstein I guess? People always use that castle reference... I'm not completely fond of the colorpalette tho. And I think you should get a proper renderingprogram. I could recommend this. It got some irritating bugs, but I still think it's the best free renderer for sketchup at the market at the time. If you're thinking of a more expensive (but better) solution you should go for shaderlight.
    Last edited by Marken4; 11-23-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Blog Entries

You got it Marken, and thanks for the rendering pointers. I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to 3d so I'm focusing on what I understand at this point but I'm going to give the rendering a whirl.
    ----------

Guild Member

This looks very good for 3d. I know that the poly count is low but the design is very creative. I can see through the limitations and the learning curve with the software that this will be a great piece. You can eventually take it to Vue 9 to retexture or add more detailed rocks. Or you can draw over it like as a guide. It nice to see you exploring new frontiers in the outer reaches .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12