Thread: The Town of Vreba-Haj for LA FRPG

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post The Town of Vreba-Haj for LA FRPG

Hello All
    This is my first post. I thought my stuff was looking good untill I got a look around at what is accomplished by some of you good fellows.
    I have been posting this map from startish to finish over at Dragonsfoot.org and thay said to sign up here

this is a map for an advenrture I am writting for Lejendary Adventures

Looks great. Thanks for posting. I like the layout, although the texture is a bit too much for my tastes. Still, a very, very nice map!

Oh, and welcome to the Guild--we're glad to have you. You obviously have some skills!!!!! If you want, we'd love to formally say hi to you; post a greeting over at the Member Introduction thread.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

DarkWolfStudio - Nice map. Very pleasant on the eyes.

I have one comment, and it applies to SO MANY maps of fantasy towns out there--yours is definitely not alone. My comment is this: Building thick stone walls around towns was incredibly expensive, time consuming work. Because of that, it typically wasn't worth it to build a wall unless the population was large enough. Conversely, when a wall was built, it would have as many buildings crammed into it as possible, and there would be few wide open spaces.

If the wall was built by a lord or some nobleman who had purposes other than defending the common good of a town's inhabitants, then the above comment isn't as applicable.

Obviously, this completely goes out the window if magic was involved in the wall's construction.

Regardless of my comment, I still think it is a good looking map.

I agree with you Cartographist- this town is built upon an ancient Fortress and maintained by a Guild of Geourgists- (Elementalist and "Golem Makers"
    It is being designed specifically with those issues in mind- it is also on an Island in a River similar to our real world Danube River- the free standing water in the town is also under the purview of the guild

I try to be very careful to plan out the whys and wherefores- Analy so- Now my logic can be flawed- from ignorance or wrong thinking but I do have a method to my madness.

You are very right regarding the costs of these walls and the men it would require to man them

Oh- the town is in a Swampy area- A great Fen known to be a place where portals to other places and dimension also cough up troubles now and again....

the above UNFINISHED MAPS will atleast place the town in a better context

Thank you for your comments - it is always good to get that criticism- so that I can correct wrong thinking and ignorance --- ( Umm - sometimes posts sound harsh or arrogant- I am being neither I am very grateful

Martin

This stuff looks really great. Are you using the hexes just for travel, or also war game stuff to?

It looks really awesome. The first map reminds me a lot of Close Combat, the PC game. Which is a compliment. As its one of my favorite games.

Keep up the awesome work.