Thread: November Challenge: Castle Divasi

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default November Challenge: Castle Divasi

Well, I'm starting this later than I would have liked, so we'll see if I get this finished or not. So far it's nothing more than a quick sketch drawn at work, but I'm thinking I want to keep with a hand-painted style. A sort of low quality, pale imitation of Djekspek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castle divasi.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	30899  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice... now, you might have a wall or something, but otherwise, if water is 0 and ground is -20, wouldn't water run out over the ground?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Oh, I wrote that as meaning the height of the ground underneath the water Like the river is noted as 0 to -30 to 0

Well, I think I'm feeling a little okay with the river. I feel like I should have drawn it much larger and shrunk it down to size - the detail is too big now I think. It's all hand-drawn with some bevel and emboss action on it. But I guess it's just the river after all. I cheated on the rocks. They have the basic photoshop rock texture slopped over top of them. Other than that, just more bevel and emboss. Next up is the ground! My greatest weakness!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castle divasi.2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	30904  

Looks nice. The river is a bit disturbing, tho. And I'm afraid it draws to much attention to itself, but I guess it will look better as soon as you add more details to the map.

I would probably add some more depth to it too.

Yes, a nice sand or pebbles texture under the water, with a gradient layer mask to make it dimmer in the center of the channel. And perhaps add a layer mask to your rocks and paint gray over the ones that should be in the water so they don't look like they're floating on the water.

That's an interesting color choice—it looks a bit luminous right now. I think that would be a cool look for a phosphorescent river in the Underdeep.

Regarding your drawbridge, I would expect it to be constructed perpendicular to the river, so that the bridge is as short as possible. This makes it easier to construct and also quicker to raise and lower.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yes agree with midgaard - the river is a bit on the bright side and also on the drawbridge (now he mentions it ... but looking good, and interesting that you start with that part of the map - I'd probably texture the ground first - or make a rough of the walls
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I'm withdrawing this entry. Just didn't have nearly enough time to work on it this month.

Thanks for the comments though The idea behind the drawbridge was that it was only long enough to cover the entrance on the side of the walls. The majority of the bridge was simply a stone bridge, ramping up and over the river. Directly beneath the drawbridge would have only been dry land 30 feet below the bridge (or whatever the heights were).