Thread: Ukiyo-e styled maps - my own challenge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Ukiyo-e styled maps - my own challenge

There's been a mapping project on my mind for quite a while now, my own Superstition Valley map which was more "artistic" than functional - its in the same theme of my next project.

In case anyone didn't know, I am half Japanese (my mother's full japanese), and I've been wanting to create authentic looking but artistically stylized maps in the style of Japanese wood-block printing or Ukiyo-e (Yu-key-oh-eh).

I'm currently researching both Japanese Ukiyo-e maps and Ukiyo-e landscape prints for mountain samples, waterfalls, coastlines, forests, lakes and rivers, structures (castles/pagodas/towns) and folklore monsters.

I've attached some Japanese Ukiyo-e prints and maps to give you an idea of what I working with. Curious these maps/prints were created prior to America opening up Japan in 1868, yet they have meridians and parallels...

Though the attached maps are true map, I plan to create a ficticious map of possible Japanese Island. Of course I plan to also create all pertinent map objects and have available for purchase/download.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	japan1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nagasaki.gif 
Views:	335 
Size:	507.2 KB 
ID:	1845  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations