Thread: Ukiyo-e styled maps - my own challenge

Post Ukiyo-e styled maps - my own challenge

There's been a mapping project on my mind for quite a while now, my own Superstition Valley map which was more "artistic" than functional - its in the same theme of my next project.

In case anyone didn't know, I am half Japanese (my mother's full japanese), and I've been wanting to create authentic looking but artistically stylized maps in the style of Japanese wood-block printing or Ukiyo-e (Yu-key-oh-eh).

I'm currently researching both Japanese Ukiyo-e maps and Ukiyo-e landscape prints for mountain samples, waterfalls, coastlines, forests, lakes and rivers, structures (castles/pagodas/towns) and folklore monsters.

I've attached some Japanese Ukiyo-e prints and maps to give you an idea of what I working with. Curious these maps/prints were created prior to America opening up Japan in 1868, yet they have meridians and parallels...

Though the attached maps are true map, I plan to create a ficticious map of possible Japanese Island. Of course I plan to also create all pertinent map objects and have available for purchase/download.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	japan1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nagasaki.gif 
Views:	335 
Size:	507.2 KB 
ID:	1845  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Great idea. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. It looks like quite a difficult style to emulate.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Post Here's some non-map Ukiyo-e references...

Again since this is supposed to be a fantasy map, I will also be creating monsters, people, landscape objects to be used as map objects...

1. Oni
    2. Tengu
    3. Hokusai's waterfall

Rather than the previous map samples, think of the map I'm designing as more what you'd find on a Japanese Screen - more artistic than functional, though I may create towns that are more traditional maps, than my Superstition Valley - where I used single buildings to represent towns.

Name:	oni.jpg 
Views:	1497 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tengu.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hokusai_waterfall.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	1848  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Great idea! I'll be reading with interest!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Wip My first mountain objects and a sea texture...

My first attempt at creating mountain objects - studying several ukiyo-e prints from Hiroshige - a renowned Ukiyo-e landscape master.

Still needs some work, but using transparent layers in Xara to emulate watercolor.

The waves, will be used as highlights around important sites along the coast, peninsulas and such. I don't plan to cover the entire ocean surface with waves just coastline, as showing shallow waters might be used on a traditional map.

Needs work, but any feedback?

Name:	mtn-uki.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	1861  
    DrivethruRPG store

That's breathtaking! Hiroshige is one of my favourite artists and you're really doing him justice here. The 'misty' bottoms of the mountains look perfect as do the trees and hell, it all looks great!

Post at last a reference...

Ever on my quest to find resource material for creating Ukiyo-e map objects, I decided to dig through the piles of books at my mom's house and low and behold - I discovered that which I had not thought existed...

A ukiyo-e map by Hokusai created around 1830 (towards the end of his life). This map in many ways is similar to style and angle of the kind of maps and style I wanted to create.

This is "Map of Shiogama and Matsushima at Oshu". The second image is a closeup near top center - large town area and peninsular tip, showing the detailing I'm really going for. This was a rare find - exactly what I need.

Name:	shiogama.jpg 
Views:	1884 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	2140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shiogama-closeup.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	659.4 KB 
ID:	2141  
    DrivethruRPG store

Great news! I'm so happy that you are continuing with your project. I have a couple of Ukioye books at home, I'll take a look at them and see if I can find anything of interest and if so scan them for you. Also check out the Japanese Historical Map website if you have not already - it may have more useful references.