Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seamless Tile filter for gimp

Default Seamless Tile filter for gimp

I am working on some maps for a project. I am using high res photos to generate patterns for some stuff or just using the high res photos when I can. Well I've run into a problem with the seamless tile filter in gimp. The patterns are seamless but when I tile them I get distinct squares. I'm working with rather large images for patterns (around 1200 x 1200) but I am also making maps that are HUGE. 5' by 9' at 150 DPI. So 16200 x 9000. I had to order more ram my aging PC is not liking these files. The patterns work great because they are small and I can upload them to the printer company easier. I have a few that have worked out but the others are just not working out. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Jonathan Bowen
    CorSec Engineer
    www.corseceng.com
    Last edited by jonbowen234; 11-14-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the problem with seamless tiles are that eventhough the edges fit, you might have distinct features on the tile that is easily recognizable. So you need to make the elements on the tile look like one another, removing distinct features like a extra deep shadow or a stray wave (depending on the texture). When the texture look reasonable alike the tiling will dissapear.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

I concur. If the pattern is something that is not supposed to be recognized then what I would do is fill in with that texture at one scale then adjust the scale to some odd multiple of it like a prime number - say 1.3 x size and blend that in. Then do again with another like 1.7 x scale. Then the overall pattern breaks up.

Still not getting the results I like but the other seamless script works great. I think I'm going to reduce the size of the pattern and see if I can eliminate the problem without losing to much detail and making it boring.

Blog Entries

Post some images and maybe the worst of the texture images and ill see if I can whoop up something to show you.

I forget what I was working on when I started this thread but I am on a new project with an old problem. Still not getting the seamless stuff to work in large repeats. I tried both the make seamless (standard) and the RR make seamless filters in gimp but none of the results where what I wanted. Here is the image I am working with. Any advice would be great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open field test.JPG 
Views:	2816 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	33102

Thanks
    Jonathan Bowen
    CorSec Engineering
    www.corseceng.com

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

In my experience, none of the automated "make seamless" scripts work very well. Try this (I just had to do something very similar yesterday):

1. Create a plain white layer, and then hide it or whatever. Call it "DisplaceMap".
    2. Filters -> Map -> Displace. For the x and y values, use the dimensions of your image, and next to each, set the map layer to your DisplaceMap (the plain white layer).
    3. Grab the clone stamp tool, ctrl-click a spot away from the seams that you should now see, and then paint over the seams with it.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 until after the displace you can't see seams.

It has been looked at before, and I must say imagesynth seems to do a nice job.

Here is a larger seamless tile sourced from your uploaded tile:

Name:	bigtile.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	886.8 KB 
ID:	33115

And one without high pass filtering:

Name:	bigtile2.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	880.3 KB 
ID:	33116

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Trust Rob to suggest a script I hadn't even heard of I'll go try that one as well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast