Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erathion [WIP World Map]

Default Erathion [WIP World Map]

Erathion

I've finally taken to starting up a new project after completing this map quite awhile ago. I consider this map to be a continuation of the aforementioned, in that I will be adapting ideas, symbols, placenames, etc. I will also seek to build upon what I consider to be my own personal style of cartography.

Most current WIP (11/23):

Last edited by ExMachina; 11-23-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Very nice! It kind of reminds me of a post-apocalyptic eurasia
    Btw, is Vestia on this continent?

Have some rep!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Very nice! It kind of reminds me of a post-apocalyptic eurasia
    Btw, is Vestia on this continent?

Have some rep!
    Yes and no. The actual landmass from my Northeastern Vesta map isn't, but the spirit of it (particularly placenames) will find it's way into this world map. And my inspiration for the land shapes was indeed taken from the Eurasian landmass.

I've updated the first post...I will be posting all future WIPs as lower res images so I can fit them onto Imageshack and everyone can see them.

The map is continuing along nicely...

As you can see I work very slowly. I've continued to expand on the southeastern portion of the map, adding in a second nation (obvious Japanese influences there!). I've also changed the style of the rivers and attempted to add some subtle terrain gradations...my favorite addition is the miniature flags to the capital cities.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make political borders that would blend with the map, please don't hesitate to give your two cents. I'm also considering altering the shape of the northwestern continent to make it less of an amorphous blob.

Are you looking for something like these? Of course I just did a random shape of area. Although I did it in GIMP it shouldn't be too hard to do in PS. If it looks good I can write something up for you.

Edit: I can't seem to upload them on to the CG's server. So I'm hosting them off site.

http://a.yfrog.com/img703/290/ydo.jpg

http://a.yfrog.com/img4/4706/mw.jpg

http://a.yfrog.com/img231/7758/rlh.jpg

Edit 2: Haha sorry about the big images. I changed it to links instead.
    Last edited by geamon; 11-18-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

I think your detailed areas are looking fairly awesome already. Nice work!
    M

I agree with Mearrin69. Your first map was among my favorites when I first became a member of the Guild. I'm glad to see you are back at it again. This map is looking great so far (I really like the mountains). I look forward to watching it progress.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is progressing quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm just having far too much fun with this map...why study for an Organic Chemistry exam when I could be doing something infinitely more fun?

What's new you ask? I added a graticule to the border as well as a map scale and have experimented with some political borders (thanks geamon!), but I'm not sure if they're going to stay that way...you'll also notice some big changes to the landmass in the northwestern portion of the map, now it looks a little more exciting. You'll also notice the big cloud blob in the bottom...more then anything that was just an excuse to paint some clouds, but I do think it makes the map feel bigger.

Thanks for all the comments!

If you keep that style for the rest of the world this will look amazing at the finishing line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast