Thread: How was this amazing map colored?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How was this amazing map colored?

Hey all,
    Novice mapper. I came across this amazing town map. 14th c Trier. I assume that it was hand drawn in large format in pencil, scanned, then inked in a draw program. Then i think it was colored digitally. Can anyone point me towards appropriate tutorials? Is it photoshop? any guesses to how it is done? Thx.

URL:
    http://www.nicherber.com/documentary
    Navigate towards "Historical Reproductions"
    Then scroll over to the "Graphical Reproductions."
    There are a few examples of city maps. That is what I speak of.
    Thanks so much

I have attached a downloaded image.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City.png 
Views:	364 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	30997

That's a freaking masterpiece.

Is that really 14c? Looks more like 16c at least to me... But, I'm no historian!

yeah its cool alright. IMHO its the coloring that gives it weight and scale. Also, its amazing how accurate all of the perspective is.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well, definitly drawn today concidering the perspective, but looking fantastic. Either they have someone with a really great eye for it, or the drawing is computer generated and then had some post work in photoshop. The coloring I would say is done in photoshop, at least that would be my weapon of choice for that.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

How was this amazing map colored?

Very carefully I would say.

Your right in that its an awesome map. And its in a style we haven't seen much of during the time I have been here. The attention to detail in the lines in superb. Thanks for sharing. To answer the question more honestly I think it must be with a paint package like photoshop and a pen tablet tho it could have been a vector app too.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My first thought was watercolor...mostly because of the blue wash in the river and top haze. The greens look kinda computery, though. So maybe the blue is just a gradient overlay, shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I would speculate that it's a 3D model with NPR techniques applied to it. The perfect perspective suggests that the image was rendered at some point (it's possible that it was then hand-painted). The details in the foreground fading to the bluish haze in the background says that the distance from the viewpoint is being used as both fog depth (the coloring really says aerial perspective) and simplification amount. Each polygon is minimally shaded except for what appears to be some ambient occlusion. The color scheme reminds me of Gooch shading for some reason.

However, all of these techniques were in use by artists with pen and brush long before the advent of CG artwork so I'm just speculating.

I think the artist looked at a photo while drawing and therefor managed to draw the perspective.

How was this amazing map colored?
    I guess you could just put your drawing on a new layer. Put the layer style to multiply, decide on a color sheme and just draw color under the lineart layer. The "fog" is just made by creating a blue-to-transparent gradient from the top...?