Thread: First CC3 Continent

Wip First CC3 Continent

First off id like to say hi all, thanks for sharing all the amazing maps and the wealth of information ive found here since finding CC3 (and this forum as part of the learning process, lol), anyways...
    I just recently got CC3 to map a world project, and im making this map as a playground to try and learn CC before starting the serious work, haha. It was going good and I played around with a lot of the features quite a bit, but I've encountered a problem. I have the central desert terrains on a seperate sheet (VDESERT) so any effects will apply to them only, and they are on the natural features layer, but i cant seem to get the effects to take effect on them. Im tryin to fade the outer darker layer some, to help break up and delineate the transition some. Also how can i make textured fill colors (like the current land and sea fills, but different colors), or where can i find some? Any CC, tips, help, advice, etc greatly appreciated, especially from those CC experts out there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SEA OF STORMS.JPG 
Views:	708 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	30998  

Welcome to the guild, IskarJarak!

I like your map, nice landshapes. Have some rep!
    Unfortunately i can not help with all your questions...my knowledge of CC3 is non existent ^^ But i am sure some helpful advise will come along shortly.

Oh and btw, nice nick name. Malzan Fan, are we?!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Welcome to the Guild!

I will look over your map and map comment later today (almost bedtime and need to get kiddies to school )
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the welcomes, and yes, i love the malazan series. Its nice to see someone pick that up, in my little corner of the world its a series no one has heard of and bookstores dont carry it, im actually hoping to map at least two of the malazan continents in greater detail ( to use as a campaign setting) once i get these programs figured and develop a style that will do it justice.. Thanks Neon, anything you could offer would be great, ive already made extensive use of your tuts and advice to others, great work!

Yeah, tell me about it...everyone reads Harry Potter and talks about how great a fantasy that is...i could strangle them Malazan is one of the deepest and well developed settings ever (maybe only surpassed by Tolkiens Middle-Earth) and screams for a roleplaying campaign (another hobby we share, as it seems). Btw, where is your little corner of the world?
    Good luck with your mapping skills and I hope to see those malaz maps on the guild
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

The middle of nowhere, lol, im in michigans upper peninsula, US. Malaz maps are a while off, but definetly in mind.. Somehow i dont think CC is the tool for that tho... On This map tho, i still havent solved my terrain issue, been working with the mtns and forests a bit, its all very basic yet but its giving me a good chance to tinker a bit.. Although as the map develops a story has too and i now want to run at least part of a campaign here, a dark, gritty kinda campaign to match the blasted volcanic landscape, any ideas for transfering some of that mood to the map??

Wip

Ive spent more time tinkering with features than actually working on this map, but i did get some symbols and such on, enough to give a good idea of what each area will be ultimately, this is all on the first file(SEA OF STORMS 2), on the second file(SEA OF STORMS TEXTURE TEST) im playing with different textures and fills to try to find the effect i want. I want the fill for the land to illustrate how blasted and sparse the majority of the landscape is (neither fill is what id be going with ultimately). Im having an issue with all of the seamless fills i use automatically rescaling when i zoom in or out, so at the world level they look horrible. Any advice on dealing with that? (Should be able to see what i mean with the rocky land fill). All comments and criticisms welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SEA OF STORMS 2.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	31016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SEA OF STORMS TEXTURE TEST.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	453.4 KB 
ID:	31017  
    Last edited by IskarJarak; 11-18-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Thanks to rav for the sea fill, will work great for another idea i have