Thread: Primeval World Map

Guild Novice

Default Primeval World Map

Hello cartographers,

I am working on a project called Primeval, it's a roleplaying game set in a stone age era with bits of fantasy elements here and there. I have drawn a very simple map a while ago, but it's still black and white and personally, I'd rather have someone do it from the ground up, with colors and whatnot. At least the basis for the map would be there.

I am not on a time limit, this is a relatively new project and I am not rushing anything.

The map has to look interesting, with natural colors. No pinpoints with names, just plain natural colors and geography. Here are some examples; Marcania Map Narthaine Map. Again, no need to separate into countries and put in names. There's no such thing as large scale politics in the Stone Age. (That's not entirely true, but you get the point )

Of course this will be a world map, about the size of earth. I'd need help here with the usual scale-ratio "x miles per inch" and the actual image size in pixels. I'm not too knowledgeable in that domain.

It dosen't have to be professional work, but of course I don't expect this to be butched either. I'm not too difficult as I don't have the means to pay so it's entirely up to the cartographer to come up with something artistic and interesting.

About copyrights, I'm not too sure how this will work. I am not intending commercial use for my project. It's a home project that is basically a complement to other projects. So you can keep the copyrights, though I'd like to be able to share this with friends and family if the occasion arise.

If you feel you'd be interested in giving this a shot, please contact me at tomkcey@hotmail.com, I will then send my sketch and a written description of the different regions. The rest, as I said earlier, will be entirely up to the cartographer.

I hope the request is valid and also to find a cool artist.

Best,
    Magnus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Pym View Post
    Of course this will be a world map, about the size of earth. I'd need help here with the usual scale-ratio "x miles per inch" and the actual image size in pixels. I'm not too knowledgeable in that domain.
    Well, on small scale maps (Full globes in particular) you can not have a globally consistent scale. Only in large scale maps ('zoomed in') are the distortions from projecting the curved globe onto a flat map small enough that distance is reasonably consistent.

Guild Novice

I see, thank you for the hint.

So no need for scaling apparently.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Pym View Post
    I see, thank you for the hint.

So no need for scaling apparently.
    Well there are still concerns about scaling. It's just not a simple matter of '1 pixel is distance x'

Guild Novice

It's just not a simple matter of '1 pixel is distance x'
    You mean 1 inch? Anyways, I'm guessing whoever will be up for the challenge will know his thing. Better than me.