Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Classic Styled World Map

Default WIP - Classic Styled World Map

I'm putting everything I'm currently working with on hold until this project is complete. Looking to make a classic styled map of the planet Earth for the new apartment I'm moving into. I was commissioned by my girlfriend to create this for our new living space together and has put large emphasis on it's completion .

This link shows something very similar to what I want to achieve. From my understanding this is a cross between a Stereographic projection and a Azimuthal Equidistant projection for the poles. Still researching the technical aspects of making this kind of map but I look to make it accurate as possible and to scale. Also looking to have it custom printed and framed with a width ~36". Will see how this turns out. Wish me luck.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good luck ... looks like quite a job you got ahead of you
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Very ambitious. I'm eager to see this map come into existence.

I felt like I had to get something done even though a small part tonight. Here's the general layout of the four projections including the arctic/antarctic circles, tropics of Cancer/Capricorn and the equator. It should all be placed with the correct math I hope. The equator was my starting point for the layout at 30"/4500px across or 15"/2250px per hemisphere, meaning the map should be at a scale of ~1:8370000 based off the equator. I don't if the scale becomes inaccurate the further from the equator you get with this kind of equator but I have a suspicion it does. Seeing as I don't have the circumference of either circle I am unable to verify the scale. I then placed the cancers are at 23.44 degrees and the circles at 66.56 degrees respectfully and plotted where the arc would be found on its lowest point in the center of the projections. I determined these were at 73.96% the radius for the circles and 26.04% of the radius for the cancers, by dividing their appropriate angle by 90. Also calculated the length of the arc for the polar regions as being 920px. If someone could check my math I would be indebted to you. Let see if I can actually finish the work and not flounder on it for too long. Also note that I'm looking to have very little labels compared to many of the classic maps I see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	584.0 KB 
ID:	31020  
    Last edited by geamon; 11-19-2010 at 05:53 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

I've always wanted to attempt a world map in that kind of shape.

Looks like you're moving in the right direction. I certainly hope she can "pay" for this commission!

Wow I just re-read my "math post" so non-comprehensible......ya.
    Cheers, Julien

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geamon View Post
    Wow I just re-read my "math post" so non-comprehensible......ya.
    *lol*... yeah, I just skipped it.. .sorry
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Good luck on this, we'll be watching
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

So I decided to start with the decals/beautifying elements since I haven't fully decided on the main map elements and I am having issues. I don't have my tablet which I ordered so it should probably help things along but I wanted to see if there is suggestions or if I fell far off the mark....which I think I have. Doing an angelic/cherubim themed decal around the northern polar region and a serpent/fallen themed decal for the southern polar region in a oil paint/sepia look. Unsure if it will work in the end even though I know I haven't added much for elements yet. Let me know if there's any suggestions to improve the look.

Edit: Also included my source, a photograph of a statuette of a cherubim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Decal.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	336.0 KB 
ID:	31026  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by geamon; 11-19-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast