Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Object images used in WotC's VTT

Default Object images used in WotC's VTT

WotC unbelievably has a VTT in beta testing. The screen shot I saw included a number of images that I haven't seen before (neither here nor at profantasy, dundjinni, or elsewhere). I was wondering if anyone here was in the beta test group and knew more about the images used. Where they came from, how extensive the collection of images is, what license the images fall under, etc.

I don't play 4e and have no interest in using the VTT (although I'm glad to see they are finally producing one for those that have been looking forward to it), however, I would love to subscribe to the VTT long enough to absorb their image collection, if the license permits such for personal use.

Here is an excerpt from the general Wizards license (emphases mine):

8. Intellectual Property Ownership; Rights Granted to You

Site Content and the Services are the proprietary property of Wizards or its licensors or other Users, and are protected by copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property laws. You are granted a limited, non-sublicenseable license to access and use the Sites and Services, and to electronically copy (except where specified as prohibited) and print to hard copy portions of Site Content and/or Services for your personal, noncommercial use only; provided, that you preserve any copyright, trademark or other similar notices contained in or associated with such Site Content or Services. Such license is subject to these TOU and does not include: (a) any resale or commercial use of the Sites or any Site Content therein and/or Services; (b) the collection and use of any product or service listings, pictures or descriptions; (c) the distribution (electronic or otherwise), public performance, or public display of any Site Content or Services; (d) modifying or otherwise making any derivative uses of the Sites and Site Content or Services, or any portion thereof; (e) use of any data mining, robots or similar data gathering or extraction methods; (f) downloading (other than the page caching) of any portion of the Sites, any Site Content, the Services or any information contained therein, except as expressly permitted on the Sites or pursuant to the Services; or (g) any use of the Sites or Site Content or Services other than for its intended purpose. Any use of the Sites or Site Content or Services other than as specifically authorized herein, without the prior written permission of Wizards, is strictly prohibited and will terminate the license granted herein. This license is revocable at any time.
    Now the license for the VTT may be slightly more permissive, but there's not really any way to know until the product is finally released. If it ever is.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds very interesting, they have basicly said nothing about the VTT after announcing it along with 4e, and never answered the many many questions about it - so I basicly thought they dropped the project. It would be great if they actually get it done
    I however, doubt the licence will permit any use of their material for other than the VTT or perhaps printout for use in own games, but as Midgaardsormr says, we gotta wait and see.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I think you have seen something related to this link, not sure though. I'll be honest though and say that I'm ambivalent about anything digital WotC produces aside from PDF content.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know the stuff they talked about creating had 3D characters - which you could pull from your character sheet, with options of changing just about anything and stuff like turning the hands to hold the weapon differently (they wrote that in Dragon), and the "early demo" they showed looked really cool. However, one has previously been dissapointed by the final product when any company promises something.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Sorry, I should have posted a link. I haven't seen much actual information but I do know that it is not 3D and will not, at least initially, link to CB or Compendium. Nor has a pricing structure been determined. Personally, I think they bought a VTT and are customizing it.

I'm hoping though that the license for the object images (bookcases, tables, etc) will be under a less restrictive license. As I understand the current license, It would not even allow a user-created map containing those pieces to be displayed on a website ("publicly displayed").

I'm hoping to start producing free battlemaps for download and can always use more artwork. I have CSUAC, SMAC, and a great deal more but does anyone ever have enough?

For those who want to look at screen shots of the VTT, go to http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=news and page down to last Thursday's news.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Good thing they only gave one screen shot so that I could not see much of what they have. Don't they get that what they announced previously for the VTT was a flop. Release a good product or when you announce something show the backing necessary to convince players it's a good product to invest in, I'll rephrase my ambivalence.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Critical hits now has some in-depth information on VTT and a number of screen shots at:

http://critical-hits.com/2010/11/23/...virtual-table/
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Anyone know if this will just be specific to D&D or will other rpgs work on it as well? I imagine it'll only run their own stuff but I figure I may as well ask.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast