Thread: How can I fix copy-paste edges from Fractal Terrains map segments?

Default How can I fix copy-paste edges from Fractal Terrains map segments?

The titel sounds more complex than it is.

Basically, I wanted a world map for a world of mine. I then made a much of world maps in Fractal Terrains (10) and tried to decide which to use as the map. I couldn't. None of the maps were satisfying and each had something I wanted in the world. So I basicaly copied the wanted bits out of each map and pasted them together to form the map below:

I loved the outcome of the map and decided to use it. Here's a black and white map to clearly show the coastlines:

Of course, I can't use the map as it is - the fact that it's been copy-pasted together is faaaaaar waaaaaay too obvious. I need to fix that.

I've tried copy-pasting bits of other FT maps and fading them over the copy-paste lines to hide them, but this doesn't work everywhere due to colour differences in the altitudes.

So, does anyone know any good ways for me to fix this?

I don't know any good ways to fix the artifacts that you have in your image using regular image-processing software. You might be able to to something like Photoshop that has a healing brush tool to get a workable effect, depending on your source material.

Or you could just push the results through a terrain editing-type program like Wilbur. http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/Fu...ol4/index.html has some suggestions. The results of following more or less these suggestions gives a result like that shown below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_x.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	31764

Thanks, but that alters the coastline, destroys the mountain and erases many geological features I'd much rather like to keep. Plus the colours are less than preferable.

What I'm realy looking for is a way to keep the image as it is, save for the copy-paste artifacts.

I use GIMP. Do you happen to know if it also has a healing brush?

I'm not a GIMP user, sorry. And I did mess up the coastlines a wee bit, didn't I? Sorry about that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_x.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	31765
    Last edited by waldronate; 12-26-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Well I don't know of a click of a button fix but using what you provided I redid the ocean by creating a new one. Tossing a light bump map down on the land portion took care of a lot of the "cut/paste lines" and a 1 pix Gaussian blur helped more. I think you would still want to manually play with some of the lines that are super obvious but I took about 5-10 minutes to create this.

Not sure if that's any better than Waldonrates but there you have it. I don't know how to use the heal tool or anything like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quicky.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	468.2 KB 
ID:	31766  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

@waldronate: 'Tis fine. Don't worry about it.

@Jaxilon: I like your sollution. I can use the sea you made for a Gia map (though I'll have to tell you where the shallow, med. and deep sea-areas are and you'll have to be a bit carefull at the poles - the sea pinches a bit), but not for a topographic map. Also, when orbed, the map's almost cut in half by the meridian from where the two sides of the map join. I know how to fix the latter. Just extend the canvas 50 or so pixels to the right (don't stretch the image) and copy the last 50 pixels width from the left and paste it into the new 50 pixel gap on the left. I'll fix it from there.

So, mind doing it for me again? This time I'll give you a map where the copy-paste artifacts are still there, but a bit faded together and the wanted oocean depth levels are shown.

Ok, after some rough fixing, I've made a map where the copy-paste artifacts (on land only) aren't as obvious:

Last edited by Rhotherian; 12-28-2010 at 06:49 AM.

Oh hey, I just realized you asked me a question. Sorry, I got caught up in the monthly challenge. As far as making a sea it's really just a matter of creating a new layer for the Sea, then selecting your land area and then growing/shrinking things. to adjust from light to dark. For the texture of the ocean use a fill of noise or plasma or something. Oh and be sure to use the 'feathering' option so you don't end up with a hard line where the colors change.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks. =)