Thread: Map of Echelon

Wip Map of Echelon

Hello Chaps!

This is the project I'm working on at the moment - Echelon. (Name of the setting and the continent)
    From the top to the bottom of the map, it's about 1500 miles tall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	echelonland.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	31061
    Land type map v2

Name:	echelonnations.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	31062
    Political map v2

Name:	echelonraces.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	31063
    Racial map v2:
    Red - Dwarves
    Orange - Human
    Yellow - Elves
    Light Yellow - Fey
    Brown - Orcs
    Light Brown - Trolls

I'm currently working on the 3rd version. All critique welcome Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice work overall but you've got a river snafu in Tatrynoacta (two river systems connected thus hitting the coast at two separate places so an eraser fixes that real quick). Lots of thought went into this, though, and I'm a big fan of well-thought out settings. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm w/Ascension, this is quite nice.

It appears that some of your labeling is underneath rivers/roads/etc. though that may just be me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I like the variety of your coastline. Far too many maps neglect that and end up with an overly consistent coast that comes across as obviously fake. That said, the coastline gives me the impression of being a lot smaller than a continent.

Wip

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I've attached the latest (v3) of each map. There are now some keys, an extra lake, and I've paid more attention to the biosphere of each area.
    The labels are under the roads and cities by design - Being as the labels are super hooj, and the roads not, I thought it more useful to have the roads on top
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	56 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	31087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	echelonland.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	31088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	echelonraces.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	31089  

This is really nice work. I like the crisp linework and distinct colors - clarity for what will be a huge amount of info, if all those places wind up labeled. And I'll second Hai-Etlik's praise for the varied landforms.

So Orcs speak French - who knew? :-)

The landcover map looks great, but when I go to decipher it the number of green tones gets a bit confusing. If you widened the palette just a little it might be easier to read.

I like the way the races don't line up completely with the political units -- multiethnic societies = complexity = better storytelling or game play. Your people seem quite... rational, what with the vast majority of borders aligning with rivers and ridges. It would be perfectly plausible to have messier boundaries, particularly where the occupants are more contentious. You know - the bit on the wrong side of the river, where the last Duke cheated the Prince out of half of Esmerinoc County in a game of dice, the nation that lops over into the next watershed, where the iron deposits have been held by a certain family since forever, and jealously guarded - that sort of back-story.

I look forward to seeing these further unfold!

Wip

Thanks =]

The Orcs speak french because, although I wished them to be "Orcish", I wished to shatter the 'ug barbarian' trope usually associated with them. They refer to themselves as Lutin in French.

As I was trimming the number of nations downwards, I took note of your comments on the very logical nature of the borders between nations.

All feedback welcome =]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	84 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	31164